Ipod - MAC and PC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by tembusu, Jul 28, 2004.

1. tembusu macrumors newbie

I would like to buy an Ipod for music and also as a back-up for my files. If I buy the Ipod for PC will I be able to have music from iTunes thru a Mac and back-up files from a Mac and my office PC. Is this a problem? :confused:

2. MikeLaRiviere macrumors regular

It can be a problem, but I can't remember exactly why. I did the same thing you did; I set up an iPod on my PC first, and then tried to use it on the Mac. Now, I think the Mac recognized the songs, but the iPod disk was in a PC format (FAT32?).

The problem may lie in creating two partnerships. As long as you have a backup of the music, give it a try though. You can always fall back on your backup.

Mike LaRiviere

3. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Yes this is a problem. I have tried it w/ my mini. I have a PC at work, Mac at home. I cannot get my music on to iTunes at work because of the different file formats. The PC wants to reformat the drive on the ipod. Although, I haven't tried to do it the other way around. Set it up as PC then move the music over from the mac to the mini, then to the pc.

Will the mac mount a pc formatted hard drive and then read/write data to it?

4. kewpid macrumors regular

Format your iPod with the FAT32 filesystem, and it'll work fine on both your PC and Mac.

5. tembusu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Kewpid. Will try it out and have the iPod formatted in Fat32 for use on the PC and iTunes on Mac.

6. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Thanks from me too!!