Ipod?mac replacing all my old cds..?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by maclamb, Mar 18, 2004.

1. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

As a new ipod owner I am in the process of loadig all my (400+) cds onto my mac/iTunes library (for eventual update to the iPod).
    My question is, once I load a CD onto the mac/iTunes - is the format it's stored in the same as what was on the cd - is the quality the same?
    Can I then giveaway/sell the cd? or must I keep it still?
    Is there loss of quality when a cd is loaded into the iTunes Library?

2. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

it all depends on what format/bitrate you're importing at. because you're compressing the files, some data is lost -- but if you choose a high bitrate, you're not going to notice. many people like the AAC format better than MP3 in terms of quality, and 128 or 160kbps is generally the norm. you'll get CD-level quality from that, no problem.

and legally, you're supposed to keep the CDs. what you put on your computer is just a backup or a copy of what you legally own -- if you get rid of the original, you're not supposed to keep the copies.

3. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

i'm pretty sure I'm going to aac - and will check the bit rate - not mp3. And I hadn't thought about keeping the disc for legal reasons - I thought once I bought it I could get rid of it...

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Yes, if you are going to be 100 percent legal, you are legally permitted to sell it, but then you must destroy any copies you made for personal use--which kind of defeats the point, right?

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Moral Dilemma time

Just say that you, your 'Book and your iPod are out for the day. While you are out, someone breaks into your home and steals, amongst other things, your entire CD collection.

Presumably at this point, you are allowed to keep your back-up copies of the CDs since the loss of your CDs is why you backed them up? And what point should you, morally, destroy them? Ever? Or when the insurance company pays out for the stolen ones?

6. TBR macrumors 6502

WORST CASE SCENARIO

What if someting happens to your mac and iPod, you've now lost all your music if you don't have the originals!

7. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Something wouldn't even need to happen to his iPod. If all of the songs were erased off his hard drive, the moment he synced his iPod, they would be gone off of there too..... Used CDs dont go for much anyways, so do yourself a favor and keep the originals.

8. TBR macrumors 6502

I deleted all the mp3's off my machine to make room for some work files.

I've just put them all back on from my iPod. I just made the invisible folder visable and copied them back into my Tunes library...no problem.

9. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

a few months ago i finally finished importing the last of my CDs into iTunes and have sold off my entire CD collection, except a few rare and out-of-print titles. i was debating on the quality for a long time since this will be it, forever. i finally went with 192 mp3 for everything and i'm perfectly happy. feels great to get rid of all those disks!

10. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

now i'm no lawyer (ladies and gentlemen, i'm just a caveman...) but i think from a legal standpoint, you'd be in the clear there. when somebody takes something of yours unlawfully, it's still your property -- that's why it's stealing, and not giving. and that's why you get it back, if it's recovered. i think you'd still have the legal rights to those cds, and any copies you'd made under fair use.