iPod Mac to PC

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ~Kat~, Aug 4, 2006.

1. ~Kat~ macrumors member

~Kat~

I have an iMac G4 but I'm away with my PC laptop. What a delightful surprise to learn that because my iPod (older model) is Mac-formatted, I can't use it with my Windows laptop. I can do a restore which may not be possible because it's a shuffle and I'd lose everything on the iPod anyway.

I really thought that once I got iTunes and the iPod software installed, using a USB cable would be just that. My iTunes library on my laptop is empty because I use my iMac for downloading. This just plain stinks! I'm stuck until I get back home which may be awhile. I'm very frustrated and disappointed. :confused:

Is there no way around this you clever souls?

2. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

join the ever growing crowd of people unhappy about this problem.
    the ipod is a wonderful product but the info on how the music is protected is not advertised.

Good Article with Instructions

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

This is a fault of Windows, not the iPod.

Windows cannot read nor write to HFS+ formatted drives (what a Mac-formatted iPod uses) whereas Mac OSX can read and write to both HFS+ and FAT32 formatted drives as well as read-only on NTFS drives. It also supports a number of Linux/Unix formats.

There is a program available (for a charge) called "MacDrive" which allows PCs to read and write to HFS+ drives.

Sorry you've encountered this problem.

4. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

yes and no.

i agree that windows inability to read all formats is reprehensible but consumer frustration affects ipod sales regardless of who is to blame. I dont believe that joe ipod buyer has a clue that his ipod is not just plug and play anywhere he goes. his fault, ipod advertising fault, microsofts fault?

there is plenty of blame to go around.

5. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

How is it Window's fault that the iPod uses a proprietary file system? I've formatted my iPod with FAT32, so that I can use it with Windows PCs, too, but that prevents me from updating the firmware on my Mac. And I don't have a Windows PC at home.. that's a quite annoying problem.

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Whoa, wait a sec! If it's an iPod shuffle, it cannot be Mac-formatted! It can only be formatted as FAT32. You should not have any problems with it on a Windows PC.

7. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

As a matter of curiousity why is that?

8. ~Kat~ thread starter macrumors member

~Kat~

Hmmm so you're saying it's doable. I have the 3.1.1 version but won't I lose ALL of my songs anyway? It will recognize the iPod but losing my iPod content isn't what I had in mind. :D

Thanks for the link and the info everyone. It seems like they leave quite a bit out. Still worth it though.

9. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I believe it's to allow greatest compatibility in using it as a USB flash drive with different platforms.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It's not really, HFS+ (the Mac file system) is open source so anyone can implement it, the simple truth is that MS choose not to. FAT32 isn't patented and is very simple so other OS's can use it too (though it is owned by MS).

I have to admit Apple should allow FAT32 on the Mac so you can use it with PC's too, I'd definitely use that feature.

11. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

What exactly are you trying to "do" again? You have an iPod shuffle with songs loaded from your iMac at home and a Windows PC with no songs in its iTunes library. When you plug the shuffle into your PC you will be given the option to "change the link" to the PC's library. If you choose "No", all the songs will be preserved but you will not be able to see the iPod shuffle from within iTunes. If you choose "Yes", all the songs will be deleted but you'll be able to see the shuffle in iTunes.

12. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Apple does allow this. Using Disk Utility, you can format any drive as "MS-DOS" which equals FAT32.

13. Lau Guest

Yes, good point, as soon as you plug it into iTunes and update it, it will update itself with your Windows iTunes library. If there's no tunes in your Windows iTunes library, you'll lose all your music.

14. ~Kat~ thread starter macrumors member

~Kat~

I don't have the shuffle. I think I'll just wait it out. I had to do a restore once and it was quite painful.

15. kammron macrumors 6502

kammron

i use my ipod mini as an external hd to transfer things between my pc and mac. it works great.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I mean't for the iPod ;), clearly I wasn't clear enough :eek:.

It does ask before doing this, you just press no you don't want to update your iPod with the computer with no music on it, you can then switch on Manual Updating for your iPod and listen to your Music through the other computer, I've done it with my Dad's (one of only two other people I know with a Mac) iMac loads of times.