Ipod Mac vs Windows formatted

Discussion in 'iPod' started by BENI, Sep 14, 2009.

1. macrumors regular

Jun 27, 2009
    My ipod was originally used on a windows computer but now I have a mac. the ipod is still working exactly the same and is functioning well. I just wondered if anything changed if it was set up as a mac ipod. If there are benefits to setting it as a mac ipod how would I go about that?

thanks for your help:)
  2. macrumors member

Jul 29, 2009
    I was in the same situation as you. (started using iPod with a Windows box, and now have a Mac).

I don't know if this is the only way, but I did a restore of my iPod on my MBP and it is now Mac instead of Windows formatted. It was quite painless.

I don't know if there are any benefits / drawbacks.
  3. macrumors 6502

Nov 23, 2003
    New England
    Previously, the issue was that once the iPod was Mac-formatted, you could no longer interface with it through Windows (for those of us who use both) unless you had MacDrive installed. As a result, I don't know if that is still the case because I've keep all my iPods Windows-formatted since the 3G. Anyone care to shed some light on that?
  4. macrumors 6502

Aug 3, 2009
    The only iPod I've had experience of dual formatting with is the iPod 5G. When formatted as Mac, I found I recovered around 400mb of drive space.
  5. thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 27, 2009
    thanks guys for your feedback.
    it doesn't sound like it syncs much quicker or any thing noticable.

I think I'll leave it windows and then I can still use floola on windows and use it as a widows compatible storage device as well.