ipod makes clicking noises

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by iwantanewmac, Mar 28, 2003.

1. iwantanewmac macrumors 6502

I got a 5 GB Ipod and I've got it replced by apple for 3 times. This "new" 1 I just upgraded to 1.2.6 and I noticed something strange. When the ipod is completely shut down it makes clicking and cracking noises like it is still on and the ipod is accessing the HD. I have never heard this before. Any1 knows what it is?
    Oh this 1 is going back to apple too because it only plays for 6.5 hours on a full charge without phones.

2. coolbreeze macrumors 65816

Hmm. There is an awful lot of iPod complaints lately. Is 1.2.6 the culprit?

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

are there any strange conditions your ipoad experinces (extrem hot/col) or did you ever leave it in a pain shakker?

4. iwantanewmac thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope. It's a brand new 5 GB ipod and I just got it 2 weeks.
    im recharging it fully again now and see how long it runs

5. Ajmbc macrumors regular

1.2.6 isn't the culprit.
    My iPod plays for 10 hours straight w/o dying. (10g). It must be a case with the 5 gig iPod.

Discharging helps..... If you are getting a new one from apple, charge it fully and run it into the ground at least 3 times. It helps keep the battery life up.

Try putting the hold switch on- your iPod may be accessing the HD.

Hope this helps!
    =ajmbc=

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

sounds like the hard drive click of death. well if it still works good keep it for the time being. if not send it back.

iJon

7. iwantanewmac thread starter macrumors 6502

How can it click when it's not even on?

I recharged it and it's still working. But \i am sending it back to appe because it only runs 7 hours.

8. King Cobra macrumors 603

>Oh this 1 is going back to apple too because it only plays for 6.5 hours on a full charge without phones.

Apple's test of the 10 hour battery life is as follows:
    Repeat a 4-minute 160Kbps mp3 file over and over until you cannot further play it. Make sure the Hard Drive has already spun up to the song and the iPod is fully charged before you start timing and playing. You should achieve around 10 hours with a small +/-.

If THIS test fails by a large margin, then send it back.

9. iwantanewmac thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll try it and post the results later.
    It's still wierd because the first Ipod I got played over 8 hours and not repeating one song.