iPod makes people look at other Apple products?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Applespider, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Interesting article from the Scotsman asking whether the popularity of iPods are making people more receptive to other Apple products? It was front page of their supplement piece today.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/s2.cfm?id=302952004

Any thoughts? From talking to friends who have iPods but PCs, I do think some of them would be more likely to 'switch' now than they would have been before owning them.

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

That's pretty much the whole point, and Apple hasn't kept it a secret.

Apple sells computers. The OS, iApps, iPod, music store, etc are all made to make the computers more appealing.

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

lets hope if someone who uses a pc now and has a ipod, that when they are in the market for a new computer that they will now look at Macs more seriously/closely than they would before....using this method apple will gain marketshare slowly but its probably the only effective way to do it

5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

The key to me is not convincing people that Apple makes "cool" stuff, but, more important, that it's worth paying a premium for apple products because they're better. How many PC folks never considered apple because they were thought to be too expensive? Does teh iPod change that? I think so, because people will realize that for $50 more they're getting a much better product (iPod), and, maybe, for $200 more, they might get a much better computer.

6. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

If you love your iPod (and who doesn't), then it certainly can't hurt anything. And if Apple were to release another DLD, people would be more willing to buy it if they already own an iPod. Just like they will be more likely to look at a Mac when they purchase their next computer.

7. jimboboc82 macrumors newbie

The only reason i've got a mac is coz of my ipod.. As soon as i saw the quality put into the ipod and it's packaging, i knew i wouldn't regret switching.

8. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I think that's a perfect role for the iPod. It has all the features of other Apple products--good looks, ease of use, functionality, high price tag--but the price isn't so outrageous. People might splurge on an iPod instead of getting a crap flash based mp3 player. Then they're hooked and their mind is open to future Apple purchases. Let's see if it pays off in the future.

I still say 3% market share is a good thing for me though.

9. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

It's all about exposure.

My girlfriend's previous experience had been a severely underpowered blueberry iMac on OS9, and she hated it and everything to do with Apple.

After watching me on my powerbook and iPod, she has completely changed her opinion -- now as far as she's concerned if it comes from Apple it means you can guarantee the quality. But she had to see a current Apple product in use to form that opinion.

iPod and iTunes are doing that. Building a reputation of quality. Everyone knows buying a PC-clone is a crapshoot, sometimes it's alright, sometimes it's not. If Apple can use the iPod to reinforce that it isn't a crapshoot with them, it will pay great dividends down the road.

10. 0s and 1s macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

I can vouch for that. I haven't used an Apple in 14yrs., and when I purchased my iPod in January, it 'mysteriously' led me to the Apple Store where I'd spend hours looking at the laptops. It led me to finally purchase my own PB last week.

11. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Same with me...except that I haven't actually bought my PB yet...still saving $$ and hoping that a new revision will come out soon...but my next computer will definitely be an Apple. And that never would have happened if they didn't make iPod available to windows users. The apple stores don't hurt either, but I never really went in to the store until after I got an iPod (my first-ever Apple product).

12. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

is this any big surprise? i mean, with all the exposure that the ipod gets of COURSE its going to get people to take notice of the other products that apple is putting out. :)

13. masterjedi73 macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

I bought my wife an iPod for xmas, and then I went out and bought myself one. After that, I got "stuck" in the Apple store for over 5 hours in one week. lol. I bought a G5, and I just purchased two laptops (used...I don't have THAT much money....haha).

The iPod definitely got me to look at their other products, and I can't imagine ever going back to windows. I'm even trying to get other people to switch.

apple has changed my life

14. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I know that but was interested to see a general newspaper picking it up as a biggish story and just wondering whether the master plan was working in real life.