iPod marketing info isnt very good!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by billyboy, May 30, 2003.

1. billyboy macrumors 65816

billyboy

I was bored and had a look around the Apple site. The iPod marketing bumf is not very good IMO.

No disrespect to Windows users but they are a prime example of consumers entrenched in their ways. To be won over to the Apple way they need to be led by the nose and then hit with a particularly big stick, not waffled to. It is possible to be politely blunt with potential punters about the virtues of an Apple product, but it doesn't seem to be the company way.

At the moment if you go to iPod information via the home menu in iTunes Music Store, assuming you can spot iPod, you get to see the 3 models with their prices and below, there is what to me is a rather low-impact explanation of what the iPod can actually do. I,d look at it and think, "Come on Apple, you'll have to try harder than quoting me a lot of pretty techno-babble if you want to sell me something that surely cant be that different to every other MP3 player out there."

Alternatively, if you go to iPod information via clicking on the Mac hardware range displayed on the Apple Store homepage, you get what seems to be a pretty clear "at a glance" explanation of the super MP3 player's features. It sounds pretty good, but if you read it carefully, or as I did, broke it down into points, the information is very waffly and not very coherently presented at all.

Apple of all people should know that less is better, and that particularly applies to the written word. iPods can only sell themselves to a certain extent

Compare my quickly edited PDF version to the version of the iPod page you currently get via clicking on a Powerbook icon on the Apple Homepage. IMHO I think Apple marketing need to tighten their act.

My strategy would be:

1 - iPod in bold in the current iTunes Music Store menu. Click.
    2 - Welcome to iPod - In the top portion of the page have the existing image with the option of clicking on different views plus in another panel the option of a Quicktime movie playing the iPod in someone's hand, being used both on the road, and with iTunes. In the centre of the page there should be just simple bullet points of features and mono-syllabic one-liner explanations.
    3 - To find out even more Click. This takes you to a more waffly Apple sales pitch, by which time the punter is going to be more receptive to the bigger picture.
    4 - To buy. click. This takes them to the page you currently get sent to via iTMS.

Just a thought. Flame me!

Attached Files:

2. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Re: iPod marketing info isnt very good!

maybe they realize that they arent trying to win ppl over with a dam n mp3 player. I mean if buying an ipod is a reason to switch (and it used to be on apples 10 reasons to switch) then that person is pretty easily swayed. I have some beachfront property in New Mexico to sell them.

I bought the ipod to use with music, not as some introduction into the mac world to see whether I want to switch or not. Im interested in buying a used Mac, but never to switch.

3. thekaiser macrumors member

I am an engineer and no way an expert in marketing. However, I think the iPod sells itself, and Apple knows that. Then again I am just an engineer.

4. Advergirl13 macrumors newbie

the iPod does sell itself... i work for best buy and sell them every day.... apple put this product on the market because thats what was wanted.... they've done such a good job that consumers think the ipod is on a level all of its own. "whats the difference between the ipod and an mp3 player? isn't the ipod better?"

so mr engeneer your right... it sells its self better than any thing else on the market.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So nothing's changed since 2003 then? I'm glad that's established. :cool:

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yeah, that is good. I'm off back to the cave. See you in a few years?

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

They do just fine with one bullet point.
    • All the cool kids have white wires hanging out of their heads. If you don't have them, you're a loser.
    Ads and promotions along those lines have been working like a charm for Apple, why would they want to confuse people with useful information?

8. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Maybe that's the reason nobody's buying iPods.

9. mcmillan macrumors 6502

I actually think that that page (link) is one of the best ways to see a product line.

Why? The design is beautiful, it shows up the 3 iPods, and you can quickly compare them and know that the 1st one is small and screen-less, the second one is also small but with more storage and a screen, and the third one looks more powerful because it's more expensive and it has more capacity.

You can quickly look at the storage capacities of each one, and at the bottom there are the accessories that Apple wants you to buy. I absolutely see nothing wrong with that section.