iPod Mini - 5 or 6 GB & Color Screen?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Feb 18, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

According to sources close to ThinkSecret, Apple is expected to upgrade the line of iPod minis to include a larger 5 or 6 GB hard drive, and include a color screen.
    Pricing is expected to stay at the current $249.

2. macrumors 6502

Nice. This could be the big announcement for next week. I wonder if we will also get an iMac announcement.

3. macrumors newbie

sweet

nice. its great that apple is moving away from B&W. niiice :)

4. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Verrryy interesting...looks like I may need a mini to go along with my shuffle. Color screen is a big bonus. I almost bought a mini several months ago, but balked because the monochrome paled (no pun intended) in comparison to the color screen on the photos.

5. macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Awesome! I might consider getting one if the price stays at $249...

6. macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

This might push me to get a new iPod, same price but COLOR!? Yay!

:D

7. TMA
    macrumors 6502a

TMA

I wonder if Apple have made some breakthroughs in extending battery life? The current iPod Mini gives a just-about-bearable 8 hours maximum play time. With a newer HD and a colour screen this would place more demands on it, I just wonder what they've done to help it.

8. Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

makes me wonder if they'll offer the same photo support as in the iPod photo.

9. macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

looks like ill have to tell my gf to hold on the purchase. haha

10. macrumors member

11. macrumors 65816

Yeah! iMac with a color screen!

12. macrumors regular

would be a rather hard hit at everyone who coughed up the dough for an ipod photo. but it seems like the only direction to go, with color displays that is.

13. macrumors 6502a

mxpiazza

if the price stays the same, i am more than there... i have been in the market for a mini, but this makes it more than worth it to grab a new one.

14. macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

I figured this would happen. I waited and waited to buy my girlfriend her iPod mini and finally got it for Valentine's Day. Now they are going to be updated. I wouldn't have been too upset if it was just a 5 gig HD instead of 4 but now we are looking at possible color screens and 6 gigs! Guess I will have to give Apple a call and see if they will send us a new one.

15. macrumors 604

Lacero

How about mini with no color screen, but 6GB harddrive, 20 hours battery life, and $199 price point? I really don't see the need for a color screen.

16. macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

Colour screen? I'll order it the same day it's released.

17. macrumors regular

Good one Nick!

Way to go Nick de Plume, what amazing sources you have, and sticking with you through lawsuits and plague and locusts. Awesome karma, it seems moles really, really like you!
    Deep Throat lives on in Cupertino.

18. macrumors 65816

ipacmm

Cool...I will be ordering one if they come out next week.

19. macrumors 6502a

iJaz

You can get a Shuffle if you don't like screens... ;)

20. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yeah, I'm really sick of monochrome iMacs too...come into the '80s, Apple! ;)

21. Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Hmmm... I can barely squeeze 9 hrs battery life from my year old mini. Hopefully Apple has improved the battery if they're really putting a colour screen on the next rev. A decrease in battery life would NOT be a good move...

22. Roz
    macrumors newbie

anyone want to buy a slightly used ipod mini? :rolleyes:

23. macrumors regular

???

what will happend to the iPod photo?

i was hoping to see a capacity increase and a price decrease only, along with some design changes like a solid wheel like in the 3G and mic.

something that ppl will like more, more affordable.

why not radio? well the metal case of the ipods will weaken the RF, and besides, who will listen to the radio when they have 4-60GB of music

mic in HD based devices, even in flash based 64MB had have it as a handy recorder.
    will it kill iMic or whatever the 3rd party mics are? no because they have more features and better quality.

well again, why not, apple had been killing competition with the apps like safari vs ie, mail vs outlook, shake and motion vs Adobe's, and last but not least, office vs iWork

like i read it somewhere, "...if the big companies can give it all to you, they can also take it away from you..." (this was refering to microsoft office at the time)

24. macrumors member

ipod mini

i dont see the point in a color screen either. graphically the monchrome screens look great. sticking with my 2ndGen ipod for now....we i'm broke so...

25. macrumors regular

And I really don't see the need for 20 hours of battery life. Why do you people need ANY more than 8... hell any more than 6??

Morning commute + Evening commute + Gym Time.. that's gotta max out at about 4 hours. Then you go home and dock it. Done. What kind of lives do you people lead where you need it non-stop, away from a socket, for 20 hours??