Ipod Mini ARGGGG!!!!!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by aStabell, Aug 12, 2004.

1. aStabell macrumors member

aStabell

I was a proud owner of a 1G 10 gig ipod untill I ran over it while mowing my lawn. lol. :eek:

Anyways I was saving my money to get a 4G 20 gig Ipod, but my dad suprised me with a Ipod mini for my bday. I really wanted a normal Ipod, but decided to keep the mini, its pretty cool, and I can still fit all my songs on it. ANYWAYS to the problem. I can't go back. Everyone who has used an Ipod knows that the menu button allows you to navagate backwards, but my menu button won't work. I've had it for a few weeks and it has only working properly twice, and both times I used the wall adaptor to charge it. Other times I just used my comp. I searched the forums and found nothing that taylored to this specific prob. the closest I found was here .

So I want to know if anyone has a idea how to fix it before I go through the hassle of getting it replaced.

-aStabell

2. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

Try doing a hard restart of the Mini. Check your manual for how to do restart (I think it's hold play/pause and menu).

3. alywa macrumors 6502

This happened to me too...

I've twice had this happen with my 4G 40gb unit... just do a reset, it should begin working again.

To reset... toggle "hold switch", then simultaneously hold down the "menu" button and the "select" button for approx 5 seconds.

The iPod will reset, you will see an apple logo, and all should be well. Let me know if this works.:)

-alywa

4. aStabell thread starter macrumors member

aStabell

lol I forgot to include that I had done many hard resets. It doesn't work.

5. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

You might try a complete software restore using the iPod Updater Utility on your Mac, but I doubt that will help. Other than that I think you might need to send it for replacement. I sure hope you don't have to wait long. I would hope that Apple would bump you to the front of the waiting list.

6. aStabell thread starter macrumors member

aStabell

Well I tried it and my comp froze. I force quit the app and then the ipod was recognized as an external hardrive. I went to disk utility and erased it. and after it was finished itunes poped up and recognized the ipod as brand new. Its loading all of the songs on it now.

I will report back with the results.

7. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

So, how exactly did you manage to run over your ipod with the lawnmower. I have heard of some strange accidents with them, but i used to use mine while mowing the lawn and cannot imagine doing this?

8. aStabell thread starter macrumors member

aStabell

well its a funny story, I mow grass for the local club pool in our town. The yard is huge so they have a big tractor like they use on farms with a cutter attachment on the back. Anyways one day I was mowing and I hit a bump (for those who don't know riding one of those tractors is like taking a car down railroad tracks) and the Ipod went flying out of my pocket, I had lost the belt clip, and fell on the ground under the tractor which in turn liqiufied it. On the bright side however I did get to see the mini hardrive which was cool.

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

Here are my first several guesses:

[1] You brought the lawnmower inside for repairs, and it somehow turned on all by itself.

[2] You put it down on the couch and wanted to let the dog out for a walk in the yard, not knowing what was in his mouth that he wanted to hide in the grass. Hours later, you decide to mow the lawn...

[3] You put on your safety goggles too tight and mistook the iPod mini for a shiny metal-like rock, then put it back down in question.

[4] Aliens.

There could have been other instances, like the lawnmower really isn't a lawnmower, but a bobcat in disguise... though that's not very likely.

But, seriously, you should keep your iPod away from dangerous outdoor situations. Most of the horror stories I've read about iPods dealt with iPods being outdoors.

10. aStabell thread starter macrumors member

aStabell

Well the Ipod has completely f*cked up now. Whenever I start it I get a pic of a folder with an exclamation point next to it. Dunno where to go from here.

11. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Here is a link to an Apple Support document on that icon. I recommend this solution:

Maybe using this method will allow you to sucessfully run the software restore.