iPod mini, can I return it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mauly, Feb 20, 2005.

1. mauly macrumors 6502

Does anyone have a link to the returns page at apple.com? I can't find it...

Or..... if you can tell me my rights to send it back! even tho it is undamaged but the box is open!! :rolleyes:

edit: oh it came last monday (15/2)

2. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

where did you buy it from?

i think it would make a difference where to send it.
    If all else fails, wanna trade for an unopened shuffle (1gig)?
    just a try
    :)
    Andreas

3. mauly thread starter macrumors 6502

It was bought from apple.com (uk)

4. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

For any returns I've made in the past, I just called them (UK 0800 0391010) and they arranged for TNT to collect. Don't expect a quick refund though!

5. mauly thread starter macrumors 6502

Cost?

6. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Call them to find out. ;)

7. mauly thread starter macrumors 6502

Why? esp as NATO has first hand experience :p

8. mauly thread starter macrumors 6502

Just got my RMA number :)

iPod mini's had better be released!!! :eek:

9. wiSeZo macrumors newbie

Can't you just go to an apple store and see if they can return it from there?

10. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure you get two weeks to decide if you want to return it. One of my friends just bought an ipod mini from the store and changed his mind and opted for the 20gb, he had no problem exchanging it. Both of his transactions were done in an apple store.

allison.

11. mauly thread starter macrumors 6502

There is no apple store around here. Hopefully manchester will get one, one day.

12. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

No apple store, lol. I used to live in a state that was bigger than your country, still might. Is there an apple store within 4.5 hours of driving? Thats how far away from an apple store I was back where I used to live.

13. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

To be honest, the cost of return seems to be at the discretion of Apple. I managed to return a Powerbook without a restocking fee because I was returning it to them because I wanted the new model which was released the next day after I recieved it. Had this not happened and I had just 'changed my mind', the would have charged £40 to cover the cost of shipping.

I think for small items (under £300), they could charge you £20 for restocking, although you may be able to talk your way round it if you get someone nice on the phone.

14. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

As allisonv7 mentioned - you usually have a grace period when buying stuff online in accordance with uk distance buying laws. These state that you may return something up to X days after it was purchased without serious penalty. I'm not sure the exact legislature, but i'm sure your local trading standards/CRB would be able to fill you in if you are that interested.

I know for Amazon its 28 days. I really would be surprised if Apple didnt offer the same. £20 restocking fee is not totally unreasonable, nor is asking you to pay postage back to apple.

I would recommend giving them a call like NATO said as you may be able to sweettalk the operator there :)

15. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Does that apply to BTO as well?
    Vanilla

16. markoibook macrumors regular

Um there is only one apple store in the uk at the mo - the one in Regent Street, London!

17. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

With regards to return of BTO items, it appears to be dependant on where you bought it.

For example, BTO returns are possible from the UK Store, but unfortunately from what I've read, the Apple Store in the US doesn't allow it.

Strange but true...

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is what the US store told me, too...I'd suspect they especially aren't fond of taking back iPods that have been engraved. :)

But then again, it does make me wonder...why does their refurb center have clearly BTO'd PB's and iBooks, if they won't take them back? :eek:

19. wide macrumors 6502a

Doesn't UK law require them to offer returns on all items?

20. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

UK Law's kinda tricky, but can be broken down into two main areas:

If you buy the item, you can cancel the contract within a short period of time (usually 7-10 days) under the Distance Selling Directive, but basically you have a duty of care to take care of the item (ie, don't break it!), but most retailers insist that you don't open the product's packaging if you are intending to return it under this directive

Other than that, basically the only legal right to return is if the goods are faulty, essentially any other return is purely as goodwill from the Retailer.