Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crowdaddy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2004
East Ontario
Hey,

My Rio karma just bit the big one and now i am in the market for a new mp3 player, but not a rio karma. My options seem to be Dell DJ and the Ipod Mini, according to my budget. I found that the 20gb the Karma had was WAY to much and I did not need that much memory. At full operation I had about 2GB of songs on the Karma. Needless to say the other 18GB would probably never ever be touched. Anyway, has anyone here had experience with the Dell Dj? The ipod mini has my vote right now but the DJ has 15gb and is 50$ cheaper.... any thoughts? Also, if i were to buy a ipod mini, what accessories can u not live without and where should I buy it, MacMall or straight from apple?

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
havn't had much experience with the dell dj, i went to a store once that had a bunch of the mp3 players on display, rio and dell and napster, ipod and a few more, the ipod was the only one that wasn't "stuck" at some screen.

also what program do you use to sort your music? if its itunes then the ipod would be very helpful in that respect. Also, the mini is a lot smaller than the dell, so that a huge plus in my opinion, and if you don't need the space then i guess there arn't many reasons to get the dell dj are there? if you did need the space and you don't use itunes and you don't care how small it is, only then is the dell dj a better buy, in my opinion at least.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Well do you want to wait for 6 weeks or so for an iPod mini or would you like a dell DJ now?

Would you rather have a (arguably) well crafted MP3 player from the market leader, with attention to details or would you rather have a imitator (a bad description, but I can't think of a better word.) that is made to be manufactured as cheaply as possible.

If you're not going to touch the other 18 gigs, why not go with the Mini. Yes it is more expensive, but it is much smaller, and just an awesome MP3 player in general.

Go iPod, trust me you will love it.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
I don't know if this is still valid, bit a couple of weeks ago Apple was emailing customers who ordered an iPod-Mini through them and told them because of the high demand for the Mini that it would be delayed. This is the good part. Apple was offering them instead a 15GB iPod at no extra charge and would ship within 24 hrs.

I would get an iPod either way! It's 2nd to none ;)

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/67583/

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
i would have to go with the ipod mini. if you said that there was some purpose to having the extra HD space, then the dell would certainly be the right choice. since you didn't, it seems that the space would go to waste just as it did in the rio. also, i would trust the quality of the ipod a bit more than that of the dell, and i would be much happier with the size, layout, and functionality of the ipod (have you gotten a chance to play with one? i have a 15 gig ipod, and thought the mini wasn't really that much smaller... until i got to hold one and play with it. when it's there in your hand, you can't believe how tiny it seems. cellphone sized, no doubt).

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Mini, with Koss headphones

I have not seen the Dell player, and I'm not interested to do so because I loooooove my little green iPod mini. It is beautiful, small, light and tough and when I tell people it holds up to 4GB of music they don't really believe me... ;)

As to what accessories I cannot live without: First thing I did when I got the mini was to throw away the headphones that came with it, replacing them with my relative cheap Koss SportaPro stereo headphones, which I used with my old mp3 player (a PakardBell Audio Key). Koss makes awsome headphones, they may not have the coolest design, but the quality is fantastic. It is the first (small) headphones I've ever had that makes you, not only hear the bass, but actually feel it.

The only headphones I think is better are the somewhat more expencive Koss PortaPro and, although I am really pleased with the SportaPors, I am considering an "upgrade", since I now have gotten a much better player.

thirteen1031

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2004
Mini!

I have an iPod Mini and it is the most stunning, intuitive, beautiful MP3 player--I don't just mean how it works with iTunes, which is seamless, or how intricately and beautifully it organizes the songs (and extras like a phone book and calendar) so you can speed right to what you want--

--I mean how it looks and feels. You hold it in your hand and it FEELS good there. Just the right weight, just the right size. It's surface feels good and is pretty much scratch and smudge resistant. The click wheel is a natural. Your thumb instantly rests on it and you find yourself able to zip through songs to the one you want. You don't even have to look at it to click it forward, back, play or stop--it's that *natural* a design, that intuitive.

And the colors are simply beautiful. Much more striking in person than they are in pictures.

It fits in your front pocket, in the smallest pocket of a bag, or can be hung around your neck. Put on your arm or hanging from a belt you hardly know it's there as you excersize or jog or bike. Other people stop you to admire it. For all that the first Minis out of the stores have had some problems, the Mini is a winner and, IMHO, well worth the extra money. It is an incredible little device.

If you had a huge music collection that would be another story. But for a 1000 songs or less, the Mini just can't be beat.

Inspector Lee

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
East Lansing, MI
The plus about the iPod/iTMS combo is everything is done in-house which equates to seamless integration (read: happy experience for you). The DJ is made by Creative, slapped together (literally) by Dell and then recommended for usage with MusicMatch.

Creative+Dell+MusicMatch (or other) = too many cooks spoiling the broth

Dragon88

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2004
Another vote for the iPod Mini, especially if you use iTunes. Nothing else out there IMO is as good a combo as iPod/iTunes. You said you don't need more than 2gigs, so if you get the Dell based solely on a $50 savings then I think you will be kicking yourself later.

For me it came down to either a green iPod mini or a 15gb iPod. I went with the 15gig model because I think I will use the extra space for moving files, and also I don't need to wait 6 weeks for it. :)

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I have a mini and vote for that as well...

but let's be honest, you came to a mac site and asked, "the apple or the dell?" Now, what did you think you we were going to say? ;) I'm not saying that we're lying; we honestly do think the mini is the way to go. But at the same time, it's not like you have an impartial group of people here.

PowerMacMan

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
DEFINATELY THE MINI!

DEFINATELY THE MINI!

Its small, compact, beautiful design, reliablity, craftsmanship, durability, are just a few of the reasons to buy that sexy thing... The iPod mini is sooo hot, if it was a girl I would date it! :rolleyes:

As for the Dell... It's not worth it... Big, ugly, and well just doesn't have the coolness that the mini prospers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.