iPod Mini Delay: Apple makes me a deal!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Beck446, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Beck446 macrumors regular

So I get an email today that my Mini is going to be delayed three weeks.

Apple offers me the 15 gig in exchange, no extra cost, will probably ship tomorrow.

What should I do?!

I've already gotten the Mini's armband in the mail... the 15 gig for what I paid is a steal!...I could always wait until Mini's are updated and get a RED one...I could use the 15 gigger for 6 months and probably sell it for what I paid for it and get a Mini...

UGH!

Any advice? :confused:

2. Bhennies macrumors 6502

3. djkny macrumors 6502

what's so great about the "deal?" When Dell Comp. of all people used to sell iPods, they took $120 off mine for shipping delays due to APPLE.

I got 3g 20GB then for $200.

If apple wants to really make deals, they should offer a 20GB at the very least. I've waited since mid- Feb for my factor defect mini and still ... no word.

4. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Well, Mini's are great but iPod's.......EVEN BETTER...15 gb? Sure...Just wondering, did you get any kind of discount (edu, gov't)?

I my opinion though...

Go for it...No regrets...Rock and Roll, man. :p

5. PowerMacMan macrumors 6502

PowerMacMan

I'm thinking that the extreme delay of the mini's are because they identified the problem and are fixing them :)

6. Beck446 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I'm getting the EDU discount. So basically a 15 gig for $230.

Seems the consensus here is to take the 15. But how about this: can anyone who owns or at least has touched a Mini... can you still recommend I take the 15 gig?

Thanks!

7. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Dude get the mini. Since the Mini came out the regular iPod is no longer "it"
    Good things comes to those who wait young grasshopper. 15 gig = old and busted. iPod Mini = New hotness. Go with the iPod Mini for sure. You won't be sorry. You guys can go a head and flame away, but you know you can't beat the coolness of the Mini.

8. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

It's all about size.....but not both ways, in my opinion....

I mean that it's all about GB size, not size of the iPod.

iPod = Small
    iPod Mini = A littler Smaller

To me, the difference was not the size of the iPod but how many songs I could keep on it. I deduct that perhaps since you were getting the Mini in the first place you don't have a lot of music, perhaps...But an iPod totally reverses that, as you will get more and more music simply because you know it can be listened to so easily anywhere...This is where the 15gb comes in. It is at the right size and you can still keep it in yuor pocket as easily and as for the armband...eBay. Make a good buck off of it and buy yourself one that will fit an iPod. As for the color, you can get your iPod painted nicely from the money you saved.

In conclusion, the decision will be yours, but you know how I feel, if that means anything.

9. therevolution macrumors 6502

Our recommendations are all well and good, but you're the one paying for it and using it.

People value different things. Do you want the smaller form factor? Will all your music (and data, if you ever wanted to use it as a portable hard drive) fit comfortably on 4GB? If yes, then wait for the mini. Don't let the few weeks sway you... it's nothing compared to how long you will own it.

I've played with a mini, and it's pretty cool. I can definitely see why people would buy one. I like my 20GB iPod more since I value capacity over physical size.

10. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

I've got a silver mini which is about the essence of slickness. However, and this may seem like an odd question, do you have a desktop or laptop? I ask because if you have a portable and need to change artists it won't be a problem to change on the fly - whether you are on a trip or hanging at a friend's. But if you have a desktop, you might feel better hauling your entire library. (Note: you can change playlists on the fly with the mini).

Also, I run with the mini and I won't run (never did run) with my 2nd gen 20 GB. The 15 in question is thinner and I see people running with them. Also, the mini has yet to skip on long hauls and I can't speak for the larger iPods.

Because I have a laptop, I feel I would suffer no discomfort shuffling my 10GB music collection through my mini.

Still, this is a tough call for you. Good luck.

11. Bhennies macrumors 6502

If you don't care about the flashy "new product ambience" surrounding the the mini...get the regular ipod. It has much more storage. Trust me, you'll need it. I have a 30gig and it's almost filled up (half with music and half with Pro Tools files). Imagine walking around with your entire CD collection on song shuffle...try doing that with a mini. Not to mention, the minis are overpriced for what you get. Plus they'll be $150 in a year. My 2 cents.

BTW, I have played with them. They are slim and small...that's for sure.

12. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I'll say it again

15 gig = old and busted
    Mini = New Hotness.

6 months from now you are going to forget about any price difference that you paid. That said it will mainly be storage size and form factor. You originally chose the Mini, so why change that now? I know it is all a matter of personal taste, but the Mini is just so much nicer I think. I own both, and I only use the Mini. Be patient, you will be very happy with the Mini.

13. 0s and 1s macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

Hmm...you're telling me I'll look cool with a pink Mini iPod? That's it. I'm selling my 20gb iPod to feel cool again!

14. 0s and 1s macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

I'll speak for the larger iPod. It has never skipped on me, and I play roller hockey, rollerblade, run, and hit golf balls while using it.

15. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

I say go with the 15gig, its still incredibly small, plus you have so much more storage space. Who knows how long til the mini problem gets ironed out. Apple is offering you a great deal here.

16. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I have a mini, but in your shoes, I'd go for the 15 gig. Mini is great, but at that discount and no wait, the 15 is the way to go.

17. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

Since you already got an armband, I am assuming that you will be working out with it. If that is the case, wait for the Mini. I work out with mine every day (sold my 30GB iPod to get it) and I love it to death. You will not regret the wait.

Hickman

18. macguymike macrumors 6502

19. macguymike macrumors 6502

20. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

If I were in your position I'd accept the 15GB model, don't open it and sell it straight away. You might want to arrange a buyer before you accept it.

Then leave the money from that in the bank for a few weeks, it'll earn a tiny bit of interest. Keep the armband.

Finally, when the iPod minis are widely available again, buy one. There's a very good chance Apple are aware of the problem and are fixing it. You'll have saved a bit of money on-top of edu discount, and you won't find it breaking after 40 days usage.

It won't be that long to wait, and it'll be better for you.

AppleMatt

21. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

You took the words right out of my mouth!

22. pepita macrumors member

Take advantage of the deal and get the 15, absolutely.

I was going to wait for the mini too, I've never had an iPod before, and I figured 4GB was enough to carry around, and I liked the fact the mini is thinner and already has a belt clip and is easier to carry also with a lanyard. Oh and then of course the 'cool' factor :rolleyes: er, not really, but I suppose the fact it is lighter and smaller does count.

But in the end I settled for the 15GB myself. No deal, I got it before this offer, in fact, I'm not even sure if the deal is available in Europe.

I actually think the deal itself is very unfair to those who are buying the 15GB iPod straight away, without ordering a mini first. But oh well. I won't complain.

Plus, like Bhennies, I too guess the mini price will go down in a few months, and they'll also have probably improved a few things by then so you'll get revised models, not the first version.

So if, say, you still want to get a mini later, you'll have time to think about it, and in the meantime, you can enjoy your 15GB iPod and see how much of it you use.

When the minis are available again, go into an Apple Store or reseller and try it and see if you still want/need it.

Plus, if you decide to go for the mini later and don't want to spend the extra money, you can always resell the 15GB iPod for a good price even if you opened and used it. Just keep it spotless, buy a transparent skin to avoid marks on the case, and it'll still be like new.

23. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

get the 15 gb. . . im an advocate for more space rather than looks and size. (come on the iPod still looks cool and is still smaller than any other HD based mp3 player on the market) but man, if they ever come out with a 15 gb ipod mini then sign me up for a pink one, so i can look cool AND have the disk space! (well maybe by then i will need more space, so lets go with a 20GB mini)

if you really really want the mini, then just sell the 15GB. . . im sure you could get 250 with a little use on it, or keep it in the box and i bet you could get a bit more and just wait a couple weeks for the mini.

24. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

I got my 15GB iPod several days before Steve announced the Mini and gave strong consideration to making an exchange. But didn't.

It didn't take long before I realized I made a wise decision. Here's why:

1. It's big enough that I never have to waste space storing extra music on my Powerbook.
    2. 4GB seems sufficient until you've scanned through it a few times and then have to go back to your master collection to swap out songs over and over again. And like the other iPods, I assume the Mini isn't a full 4GB.
    3. Using the iPod as an external hard drive means leaving sufficient space for your data files. As such, the Mini looks less and less appealing.

I'm glad I went with the 15.

25. gemio17 macrumors regular

same thing happened to me-"shipping/aluminum shortage" I am going for the 15- ($224 after gov't disc.)I haven't heard one person who owns a mini say - "what are those freaks talking about there's nothing wrong with my mini".......every mini owner I know has had a major problem...so I was relieved when I got this deal esp. b/c it's for my technophobe bf's b-day who "hates" gadgets but never fails to grab for my iPod on a long subway ride....