Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ouphe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Hey all.
So my iPod Mini isn't working as it should. It started about a month ago, and since then, I haven't been able to play music off of it (it'll be hooked up to a computer just fine, it'll show up on iTunes and the playlists will display, but anytime I try and play a track, the music won't play, and a little exclaimation point icon appears to the left of that track). Since then, I've tried resetting the thing to factory settings, reformatting the disk for Macintosh (in case I may have hooked it up to a PC at some point and accidently FAT32'd it) and praying to a variety of gods and spirits, but all to no avail.
Anyone else run into this problem? Know what I can do to make it work again? I'm putting it up for sale, so I want to make sure it works correctly for whomever buys it!

Thanks!

-Colin

gman71882

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Houston, Tx
when there is an exclamation point next to a song in itunes it means that the program cant find the actual file to play. Maybe you moved or deleted your song files.
See if you can find then in the Finder then just double click the actual MP3 File to play it in Itunes.

ouphe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Very strange...now everything is just greyed out when I can get it to come up, and the icon for the iPod won't stay on the desktop..like it's disconnecting or something. Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Colin

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
You mention that you used to play the songs from the iPod, I imagine through iTunes, right? Well, this is a feature of a manually managed library. In the iPod preferences, I reckon yours might now be set to the default automatically sync library. This would explain why the library is greyed out and why the iPod disconnects straight after it has synced. I might be way off though. :eek:

n-abounds

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
Well if you know some Terminal commands, I'd take a look on it in Terminal.

What color iPod Mini?

ouphe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Yes!

That was the problem! It worked! Yes!
Mad Jew: you are a genius and I think I love you.
n-abounds: thanks for the advice, too...good thing I didn't have to check it out, since I don't know what Terminal is. Also: it's a beautiful blue one, 4 GB.

Thanks again to everyone who responded!

-Colin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.