iPod mini idea?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by bloodycape, Sep 12, 2006.

1. bloodycape macrumors 65816

Does anyone know if the ipod mini can support(or accept and work with) cf cards? I know the Rio Carbon supports cf cards and they both are using the same hd and connectors? I ask this because yesterday Samsung annouced the first consumer model 16 and 32gig cf cards and was thinking about getting mini of the net, put in a 10gig cf card or the 16gig if prices come down and then add rockbox to it to give it gapless and user customizable options.
    link to the 16 and 32gig drives.
    http://www.dapreview.net/comment.php?comment.news.3616

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

3. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I swear to god someone has done this... might be a 4gb limit though. But I SWEAR back when the mini was new people were getting them for the 4gb microdrive for digital cameras, and putting 1gb CF cards in the mini to make it work again...

A 15 second Google search turned this thread up: http://forums.ipodhacks.com/showthread.php?t=3968

Like I said, I think this was done pretty frequently back when 4gb microdrives cost more than iPod mini's did...

4. bloodycape thread starter macrumors 65816

I know you can do it with the carbon and as mrgreen said people were using carbon and the mini drive for their camera as it was cheaper that buying the card separately.

5. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Read that thread I linked, that guy says he did it. If you search more I am sure you will find some details. I'd do this for my wife for a work out iPod (1gb flash cards are so cheap now and plenty for a second iPod, and broken mini's are also pretty low priced) but I have a feeling that used 1gb and 2gb nano's are going to get so cheap on the used market with the new models out and a such low prices (I figure the 2gb nano will be $129 refurb in a month or two) it's hardly going to be worth it.

6. bloodycape thread starter macrumors 65816

If I wanted to go with a good flash player I would go with a brand new creative Zen V or Sandisk Sansa as the 2 gig can be had for 100 brand new. But I was thinking maybe getting a mini as it is durable and nice, and add a 16gig cf card or something and rockbox.