Ipod Mini instead of 3rd gen Ipod 10 gig?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by SkudShark, Jun 8, 2004.

1. SkudShark macrumors member

SkudShark

Have they worked out the bugs on the Ipod minis? I heard there was crashed drives. Hoping so, my campus has about 20 in stock and I wanna get one.

Also
    Anyone have an Idea what a good price would be to sell a used 3rd gen 10 gig ipod?

Was going to throw it up on Ebay, my friend just sold his 5 gig older model for 130 bucks, so I have no idea what to expect for mine, I got 2 skins for it too and the charge base.

Basically I'm just trying to get smallest possible and i like the arm band for the mini better than anything i found for the bigger one.

Any input?

2. plus_c macrumors member

From what I've seen in classifieds and on EBay, I'd say that 220-250 is probably a fair range for it...especially considering the 15gb 'Pod goes for 299. That said...you could quite possibly end up breaking even/making money on the deal, especially with academic discount. IIRC, academic price on the mini is ~$220USD, no?

3. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

not everyone, especially eBay users, aren't aware of it, but apple refurb section offers new 10 GB at $249 and refurb 10 GB at $199, both 3rd gen and with a year warranty, once in a while...

so at least Mac savy people won't pay much more than that, especially here at MR. if it's used, "fair" price would be $170-180 or so but of course, eBay doesn't always reflect "fair" price, just what people are willing to pay.

5. netytan macrumors 6502

netytan

If your trying to add resell value to it and hopefully make a little money why not load it up with as many songs as you can. I know this would appeal to me as you get so much content aswell :). I'm not so sure about the mini right now, but hey, it cant be too bad.

Mark.

6. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

added songs will hardly add much value. heck, even cases add little value. if you think adding a dock (orig. $50) or case ($20 to 30) will add half of those originally values to the iPod, you are mistaken. the buyer will probably just ask to take the dock and cases out if you insist on bundling them up to increase the value.

7. wide macrumors 6502a

I have had an iPod mini (in blue) since February (the day after their release :)), and I am VERY dissapointed in my purchase.

The battery life is decent, a little better than the regular iPod.

It has frozen on me once, in March, but I have not had any problem like that since.

Recently, under a month ago, I got static! I brought it to the Apple Store's genius bar and it was replaced (but the experience was NOT friendly...).

So now I have an iPod mini that is, essentially, brand new and in mint condition. Still, I do not see what Apple did to prevent static. It appears to be the same exact thing that I had in February when I bought it. I would not be surprised to get static again.

So why do I think the 15 GB iPod is better?

1) The 15 GB iPod looks better (just be sure to buy a skin to protect it's metal back and plastic front)

2) It has more storage. I have about 250 MB left on my iPod mini, and about $150 to the iTMS. Once I use that money up, my iPod mini will surely be way to small.

3) Cool factor. The original reason that I wanted to get the iPod mini was because everyone git a regular iPod over the holidays. I wanted to have the newest, coolest gadget. I had the option to get a regular iPod 20 GB for Hanukkah 2003, but I decided to wait it out because the iPods were due in for an update (and they still are :(). As it turns out, the regular iPod is indeed cooler than the iPod mini.

The iPod mini is smaller and it does look nice, but it has no room for storage space and cannot live up to the silver and white iPod.

So get a regular iPod, and if you don't like it we can trade :D

8. sketchy macrumors regular

I have a blue iPod Mini and I love mine. I have not had any problems with the battery or any problems with static. it plays better thenmy 20 GB model( no pauses) and weighs so little. I got this one because it is small and lightweight. If I want a large portable drive, I would get a seporate device. My 20 GB iPod has 19 GB on it. No more storage them my mini.

I do find it interesting that th emini shuts itself off (no fast start) if left inactive for a few days.
    Dave