iPod mini locking up

Discussion in 'iPod' started by mrgreen4242, Sep 21, 2005.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Hey everyone, I got in my car this morning and plugged in my iPod (just into the stereo, it's running on battery) and it locks up when I try to play any song. It also reset itself a couple randomly. I'd try to format and update it, but I'm at work and don't happen to have an iPod cable handy...

Any suggestions? This is a brand new 1G mini (had an older one swapped out at the Apple store last weekend, so this is about 5 days old). It worked like a champ yesterday, and everyday since Saturday when I unboxed it. Last night I just plugged it in to charge and update my podcasts...

The only thing different is that I installed and setup MagicMusic Mixer (I think that's what it's called) from Roxio, but that isn't an iTunes plugin, it just copies the library from there?

Thanks for any ideas,
    Rob

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Was it just a once off? The hard drive based iPods will act like this if they are bumped around too much or if they get hot. It's just a drawback of having a hard drive based MP3 player. :(

Of course, try syncing it with Roxio Magic Music Mixer in the trash (not deleted, just having it there is enough) to rule that out. :)

3. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

It's continually freezing only when I try to actually PLAY the track. I can navigate through the menu's fine and it reboots fine, but when I try to play a track it either locks up or reboots depending on wether I am actively pressing buttons or not... very strange. Hasn't been bumped around any, just sitting on my desk and in my breast pocket. I'm going to try and run the iPod updater when I get home and see what happens. Just hoped someone would have had this problem before and could offer some insight.

4. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

OK, I used the iPod updater to restore the mini to factory settings and it still does the same thing. Sigh, I guess I am going to have to call Apple, again. :(

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What bit-rate is your music encoded at? I know iPods will sometimes struggle with higher bit-rates. However, your problems sound pretty bad. The call to Apple is probably a good idea. :)

6. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Tell us what happens. I'm thinking abou getting a mini before the edu store runs out of them.

7. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Nah, low bittrates... between 16kbps AAC mono (audio books) and 128kbps AAC (iTMS). Turned out it is a failing harddrive... I'm getting a replacement, but it's gonna take 6-10 days :(

That's two bad in a row! :rolleyes: