ipod mini longevity

Discussion in 'iPod' started by doctor pangloss, Sep 16, 2006.

1. doctor pangloss macrumors regular

I bought a 4G mini to play music in my shop.
    It's going 16+ hours a day.
    Often my staff just turns off the amplifier and it runs 24 hours a day.
    It's been 10 months. It seems like it could run forever!
    Any guesses how long it will last?

2. prodigiousfool macrumors newbie

Are you talking about 24 hours of continuous playing time? Well theoretically assuming nothing else outside happens to it, i'd say that i will go til the HDD dies, given my experience, albeit with 3.5" not mini-sized, that's anywhere from 5-10 years. The hard drive in the mini is the Compact-flash sized microdrive, same kind that i use each and every single day in my camera. the microdrive that i use certainly get bumped around a lot, and i've had it for over 2 years without any issues or lost data....only other thing i could think that might die is the screen, and to be honest, i don't know what would cause it to die.

Again, this is just my experience, but usually something like a screen or connector or something like that doesn't just go bad or just die, something happens to it to make it fail. Either a bump of a jostle or soemthing of that sort. If it's stationary, i think you've got some time left, depending on how old the mini is. Someone else might know better than I if the microdrives used in the minis are prone to failure, but the one in mine isn't nor is the one in my camera.

hope that somewhat answers what you are asking.

3. doctor pangloss thread starter macrumors regular

Yes it often plays 24 hours a day.
    It doesn't get moved of jostled so it probably will last a long time.:cool:

4. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

I have had my mini since they first came out in oz... so it's been over 2 years.
    BTW: I have dropped it, I have screwed up the software (it's a long story, if you want me to post it i will) and all sorts of things like that.