ipod mini-needs AC firmware update, but i dont have FW cable

Discussion in 'iPod' started by aussiemac86, Jun 29, 2005.

1. aussiemac86 macrumors 6502

I have a 1st Gen iPod mini, so it came with a FW and USB2 cable, and a FW AC charger. My brother has "borrowed" my FW cable and has gone to Sydney for 2 weeks.

This would not usually be a problem as I can use my USB cable to charge/sync my ipod with my G5 PM, however i just did the ipod update and it said after the update was complete that the ipod needed to be plugged into the AC charger to do something to the firmware, now the ipod will not let me do anything, it just has the AC charger symbol on the screen.

Is there anyother way to do the firmware thing after an update without an AC adaptor, or is my iPod useless for the next 2 weeks?

2. cazlar macrumors 6502

I'm not sure about the firmware side of it, but surely you could find/borrow a firewire cable somewhere? Or even buy one at a computer store (no need for it to be an special iPod white cable, any 6pin-6pin will do).

3. aussiemac86 thread starter macrumors 6502

nah unfortunately it needs to have a dock connector on one end, 6 pin on the other end,.....unless i am missing something.

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I don't think there's anything you can do. This happened to me one night and I had to wait til I got to work the next day to update it.

Unless of course you have a pal with an iPod with a charger?

5. cazlar macrumors 6502

Oops, sorry about that, I was thinking of my 2G iPod, I forgot it had changed!