iPod (mini) newbie questions

Discussion in 'iPod' started by greg555, Dec 8, 2005.

1. greg555 macrumors 6502a

Just got my first iPod (a green 4GB mini off ebay). It's working great and I quickly figured out how to use iTunes.

Every once in a while it seems like Windows XP mounts the iPod as a drive before iTunes sees it. Then I get a message that some other program is using the iPod and to exit it so iTunes can use the iPod.

Is there a way to get Windows XP to not mount the iPod (without messing up the mounting of other USB mass storage devices)?

Thanks - Greg

2. greg555 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can someone help me with this?

Today I can't get iTunes to see my iPod. XP is always faster.

Thanks - Greg

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, if you can get to the iPod preferences you might be able to disable disk usage which may or may not help.

The strange thing is that it loads in Explorer and iTunes fine for me. :confused:

Do you have some sort of drive device managing app?

4. greg555 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure I turned off disk usages on the iPod but I'll check.

Does iTunes check all the time it is running for an iPod connect or
    only once. Maybe that is my problem. I'm ripping my CDs so I haven't
    quit and re-run iTunes.

Greg

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yes, you can leave iTunes open. No need to quit & re-run. iTunes and the IDE bus gets kinda busy when you are actively ripping CDs, so have you let the ripping stop for a while and see if iTunes sees your iPod?

You might want to consider updating the firmware using latest iPod Updater and reseting the iPod. I had similar problems last night with getting my 4G to talk to Rhapsody, but they went away when I cleared out the iPod.

B

6. greg555 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fixed

I found the solution on this page:
    http://forums.ipodlounge.com/archive/topic/44944-1.html

This post:
    Posted by: gadgetgirlFl

I had same problem and may have a solution. This first happened to me just after I changed my ipod preferences in iTunes to manually allow me to "manage songs and playlists".

This is what I tried.
    I set my ipod in disk mode. and now Itunes sees my pod and so does my computer!!! http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93651
    and like magic the card is now recognized. I just set my itunes preferences back to automatic. BTW (I have a adaptec usb2 card. 4g-20 ipod.)

--- end quote ---

I had switched to manual update just prior the problem occurring. So I set my iPod to disk mode, then iTunes could see it and I could change the setting back to automatic update.

The message about another user using the iPod turned out to be an error message from iTunes in my wife's account (even though she doesn't use iTunes). So if it ever happens again I'll know to use the task manager and check if other copies of iTunes.exe are running somewhere.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Greg