iPod mini...omg

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by BakedBeans, Oct 6, 2004.

1. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

May 6, 2004
    What's Your Favorite Posish
    as you guys know we have had problems getting the minis over here in the uk, and i didnt want to buy one from apple.com/uk before id seen one, so i went into pc world tonight and they didnt have any displays of ipods or ipod minis (they never do) so i asked and they had one... and omg its amazing... i love it and will never ever give it back...
    i thought i would share my purchase with you... its smaller than i thought it would be... im chuffed...

2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2003
    I love mine, congrats on your purchase, I forsee that you'll enjoy it :D
  3. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    nice. i've had mine for about a month now. it really is a nice, compact device.

the capacity also hits the sweet spot for me. i have about 20 GB of music, but i only listen to tiny fraction of them... 4 GB is a good size for me as i can put only music i really like to listen to... i won't skip around to "better" songs when i play in random.

(what color, btw? i got a silver one to go with my PB.)
  4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    2 guys at my work just bought them, I hadn't seen them in person before, they are gorgeous! My 20GB G3 is envious, and so am I.

But, I'm still need more space, I'd love one, but 4GB just isn't enough, when there's an 8GB...we'll see :D

Congrats on your new toy AL-FAMOUS!
  5. apple2991 macrumors 6502

May 20, 2004
    Makes sense. It's real nice having all the extra space of my 20gig 4G, of which I use about half. But Shuffle mode is a pain in the butt cause 3 out of every 5 songs is something i dont really feel like listening to.
  6. BakedBeans thread starter macrumors 68040

May 6, 2004
    i only have 500 songs which is about 2 gb so it purrrrrfect for me.. i did have the 3g 40gb but sold it as it was a waste of space but this thing is wow wow wow, thanks for the feedback...
  7. realityisterror macrumors 65816

Aug 30, 2003
    Snellville, GA
    i, too, would have bought a mini.. but, i was able to snag a good deal: 3G 15GB w/ dock, case, remote for $199 (oh yeah, refurbished... but still..)
    in fact, i just bought a speck skin for it last night from the fry's that just opened in atlanta... (it's pretty cool, but a bit too loose especially around the 4 upper buttons.. :eek: )

8. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2004
    The Ocean Floor
    it took me a while before i found a shop that had them in, but when i first saw the minis in john lewis in southampton i was amazed! they really beautiful if real life, pictures really don't do these things justice. Now i go to shops in london and they have every colour!!! its crazy to see them all at once! hmmm.... i want one sure, but i might wait til the next revision as i can't afford one now (damn beer, i mean new uni term!) but what colour would i get?!?!?!
  9. Pismo macrumors 6502

Apr 30, 2002
    I loved my silver mini until my mother threw my shorts (which my mini was in the pocket) into the washing machine and then found it when the clothes were being tossed in the dryer. It was my fault because I forgot to take it out of my pocket. I just hope that doesn't happen to my 4G 20 gig iPod.

R.I.P. silver iPod mini
  10. JLS macrumors 6502

Aug 8, 2004
    Kent, England
    I don't have an ipod, but I did the same thing to my flash based mp3 player, and it survived! I was amazed! lol
  11. sgwigle3 macrumors newbie

Jun 10, 2004
    Salisbury, UK
    whats cooler?

What's cooler than owning an iPod? Well I'll tell you, owning two of them! I got the first generation iPod (before it became a cultural phenomenon, yay me) and recently, its looking a bit worse for wear, so I felt like getting is a little brother, a green iPod mini! The mini stores my *5 only songs, and my current favorites (which is all songs imported in the last 3 months which have either 4 or 5 *s). My classic iPod now acts as an external hard drive.

And I just wanted to say I'm dead chuffed!
  12. BakedBeans thread starter macrumors 68040

May 6, 2004
    thanks for the feedback... firt of all i was gutted about them only having a blue one left... but then i saw it... the blue is great...

oh and pimo..
    *sniff sniff
  13. BakedBeans thread starter macrumors 68040

May 6, 2004
    a couple of pics for ya...

plus a quick question... about the iskin mini... do you have to havve the clip attached for it to work properly
  14. dobbin macrumors 6502a

Jan 28, 2002
    Just a quick word about availability - they've had them in John Lewis in Bristol (Cribbs Causeway) for about 2 months. I ordered one for my wife from Apple the day they were released and it came in a couple of weeks. They were available in JL from the same week that Apple delivered mine (err, I mean my wifes!)

IMO John Lewis is alway a good place to start when looking for Apple products. They also carry stock of quite a lot of the popular mac software which is good if you need something in a hurry.

Enjoy your new mini AL-FAMOUS!!
  15. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    Just never ask the sales staff for advice.
    There's only one store where I live that sells Apple products (other than iPODS) so when I'm in the UK I always go to John Lewis to check the Apple display. Some of the advice the staff have spouted while I,ve been there has been amazing. 21st September I listened to staff tell a women looking for a computer for her son for college that this was the new 17" iMac (a 20" anglepoise G4 iMac) but they also do a 20" like this one, a 20" cinema display right next to the '17"' display the same size.
    She then asked if they did laptops and the salesman said they did and showed a row of 17" & 12" PBooks and 14" & 12" iBooks claiming they were all PBooks but that they also did some iBooks that were similar but smaller!!??
    The women then said whatever she bought had to run MS Office and would the Mac do this.
    No, but Apple's all came with Apple Works which is the same thing!
    He then showed her round the HP laptops.
    Once he'd gone I told the women to check out the Apple online store for the cram and jam deal and get education prices on that and the MS Office. She left thanking me and I imagine her son is much happier for my intervention.

Another member of staff, same store 6months earlier assured a customer that the differance between the HP Ipaq they were comparing to a Zire71 (or72) was while the Zire had a camera the Ipaq was also a GSM phone????
  16. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    congrats on ur purchase id like one just wish the capacity was bigger
  17. djkny macrumors 6502

Sep 30, 2003
    that's the UK for ya.
  18. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    Hope you have years of enjoyment ahead with your new Mini. They are quite cool. I have a 4G 20GB, which is slightly more than half full. I could probably pare down my travel tunes to about 6GB, so a Mini doesn't work for me yet. Hopefully, there will be a minor upgrade coming (not so soon as to make you regret your new purchase, tho' :) ).
    In the meantime, I am picking up a pink Mini for my wife, who swears she has no use for an iPod (yeah, right). Hey, if she really has no need, I'll take it off her hands, even if it IS pink.
  19. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    Cape Breton Island
    The more I think about an iPod mini the more I want one, even if I have no use for it at all, I mean I have an iPod 15gb 3g, and i have all my songs on it,
    damn the mini is so gorgeous, i want one to show it off.
  20. mms macrumors 6502a

Oct 8, 2003
    For those of you complaining about the space, that's not what the mini is for. If you need more, go for the original iPods; they're still awesome gadgets. The iPod mini is exactly what it's called; a mini version of the original. It was meant to have a small drive and I personally like mine just fine that way. The size is so great for running that that alone was worth the money.
  21. BakedBeans thread starter macrumors 68040

May 6, 2004
    thanks i will enjoy it, however a note about availability, i tried john lewis (everyone for a hundred miles) and pc world and then the guys in london and couldnt get hold of one untill the other day... it was a case of some and some
  22. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

Jan 18, 2003
    i wholeheartedly agree about how cool it is... i thought it was so so until i saw it in person. i couldnt believ it! i am gonna opt for the more space and get the 20 but i am getting my girlfriend a mini:) they are great
  23. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Jul 5, 2004
    When I first bought my 3g 10GB iPod, I bought the Speck skin too. Eww, big mistake. I re-sold it on eBay after ordering a clear iSkin. Those a really better than the Speck (unless you're using a dock).