iPod mini or iPod? A couple of questions...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Diatribe, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Hi,

I am trying to decide on a new iPod since my 2nd gen will be given away shortly. I just cannot seem to make up my mind. As you already know the choices are the following:

iPod mini with dock: 302,76€
    iPod 20GB with dock: 338,72€
    iPod 40GB with dock: 394,40€

The price difference between the 20GB and the mini is marginal and although my entire library is about 30GB big I could fit ALL of my important playlists on 6GB.
    Now although this seems to rule out the mini, I could be switching lists a bit more I guess. The 4gen has better battery life, but scratches more easily.
    I don't really have a need for the 40GB but for 50€ more it is tempting, although I think I wouldn't fancy the weight/ size difference.

I guess what this comes down to is what do you people use more(if they have both)? Are you guys happy with the 4GB or is it annoying at times?
    I could live with the bigger 20GB but am a bit concerned about it scratching easily. And no, I don't want to use a skin, I like electronics the way I bought them.

I am open for any suggestions.

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I'd go with the 20gb.

I realize that it does scratch easily.. And as a matter in the case of fact everyone I know who has one it looks like it got hit by a car on the metal part. I've had mine for a long time and it is in perfect condition though, which is proof that if you take really good care of it it won't scratch.

3. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

I have both & I only use the mini... In fact, my daughter ended up taking the 4G to play in her car since she only has a tape deck in it...

I should say that I only have about 3GB's of personal music (family has more) & I've never used it as a portable harddrive- nor do I expect to...