iPod mini or iPod? A couple of questions...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Diatribe, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Diatribe macrumors 601

Jan 8, 2004
    Back in the motherland

I am trying to decide on a new iPod since my 2nd gen will be given away shortly. I just cannot seem to make up my mind. As you already know the choices are the following:

iPod mini with dock: 302,76€
    iPod 20GB with dock: 338,72€
    iPod 40GB with dock: 394,40€

The price difference between the 20GB and the mini is marginal and although my entire library is about 30GB big I could fit ALL of my important playlists on 6GB.
    Now although this seems to rule out the mini, I could be switching lists a bit more I guess. The 4gen has better battery life, but scratches more easily.
    I don't really have a need for the 40GB but for 50€ more it is tempting, although I think I wouldn't fancy the weight/ size difference.

I guess what this comes down to is what do you people use more(if they have both)? Are you guys happy with the 4GB or is it annoying at times?
    I could live with the bigger 20GB but am a bit concerned about it scratching easily. And no, I don't want to use a skin, I like electronics the way I bought them.

I am open for any suggestions.
  2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    I'd go with the 20gb.

I realize that it does scratch easily.. And as a matter in the case of fact everyone I know who has one it looks like it got hit by a car on the metal part. I've had mine for a long time and it is in perfect condition though, which is proof that if you take really good care of it it won't scratch.
  3. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Feb 14, 2004
    South Jersey
    I have both & I only use the mini... In fact, my daughter ended up taking the 4G to play in her car since she only has a tape deck in it...

I should say that I only have about 3GB's of personal music (family has more) & I've never used it as a portable harddrive- nor do I expect to...