iPod Mini Ordering Distress

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jbembe, Apr 27, 2004.

1. jbembe macrumors 6502a

I just sat on the phone waiting 10 minutes for a cust. serv. rep. from apple so I could make an addition of an engraving to the iPod Mini I ordered and still hasn't shipped (and probably doesn't even have a hard-drive in existence yet outside raw materials!) The stupid cust. rep. told me that she would have to delete my original order, resetting my wait time just to add the engraving because apple wants to make the customer responsible for putting the engraving on themselves when they order the mini, so they can avoid being held liable for any errors in the engraving. BALONEY. How hard is it to send me an email for confirmation that what they think I want to engrave is/is not correct? How hard is it to add an optional page on my iPod mini order status page that would allow me to add/modify any potential engravings I want until the unit is shipped! If there are more customers outside myself who want to change/modify the engraving on the iPod (which is implicit in the way the customer rep. dealed with my question, as if they hear this question alot,) they should be flexible. I don't care if everyone and their dog is lined up to buy a iPod mini, I have been a valuable mac customer -got a 10gig and 40 gig iPod both of which I paid 500$ for, and this doesn't even mention the computers and everything else (upgrades .Mac, etc.) Why mess with customers over a $19 engraving!!!! I'm a very grumpy customer today!! :mad:

2. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

You should not expect special treatment because you have purchased x amount of stuff from Apple.

Meanwhile, engraving may need to be set-up at the time of order, the way the system is set up it might not let even an Apple rep add it later. You shouldn't fault Apple because you changed your mind. You can always take it somewhere and have it engraved yourself.

3. jbembe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Meanwhile, engraving may need to be set-up at the time of order, the way the system is set up it might not let even an Apple rep add it later. You shouldn't fault Apple because you changed your mind. You can always take it somewhere and have it engraved yourself.

How hard would it be for a hardware/software company to add a webpage that allows a customer to add an engraving post-ordering and pre-shipping? Minimal effort for customer satisfaction here.

4. brhmac macrumors regular

You raise some good questions

You raise some good questions. Any company's customer care services can always be improved, so your suggestions on how Apple could implement an e-mail confirmation for "change orders" sounds like a good one to pass along to Apple.

Certainly, they've got the computing horsepower to handle it. (At least, I hope they do!)

5. brhmac macrumors regular

Actually he should...

Apple, like any company, needs to distinguish its "high-value" customers from the rest of the pack and provide a higher level of service. If Apple's CRM systems were up to snuff, they could identify the caller, retrieve his/her account records and be prepared to manage the interaction, professionally and efficiently.

"Yes. I see your iPod order right here. Our normal procedure is to [...], but I see you've been a loyal iPod customer so I'd be happy to [...]. Look for an e-mail in the next few minutes to confirm [...]. By the way, if we don't receive a confirmation e-mail back from you within 24 hours, we cannot guarantee [...]."

Simple. Hundreds of companies provide this level of service EVERY DAY. It isn't too much to expect Apple to bring its customer care policies in the 21st century.

6. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

7. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Problem is, every customer thinks they're "high-value." :rolleyes:

8. brhmac macrumors regular

CRM 101

Yes - but only with respect to Apple's warranty service.

I'm talking about customer care, which should be totally seamless to the customer. Every customer should be treated professionally and efficiently. High-value customers need to receive a higher level of care because they spend more money with a company more often. They're more profitable to a company and deserve more personalized attention and care.

It may be less expensive for Apple to lump all of its customes into the same category, but they'd make more money by giving special treatment to the high-value customers. Everyday customers won't know there's any difference, but the high-value customers will recognize the greater care they're receiving. Again, these customers spend more money and they stay loyal customers longer.

Read up on customer relationship management (CRM). This is 101 stuff.

9. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Exactly.

Whatever happen to treating all your customers equally?
    I always hated people who used the line "Do you know how much I spend here?" I always told them that I did not, and that it didn't matter. You should do your best to help a customer regardless of how much they spend. I think treating everyone equally says alot about you integrity.

*Goes and gets some cheese to go with the .....*

10. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Oh, you have no idea! Getting the logistics right in a supply chain is one of the most difficult aspects of business. Changing a thing like that could potentially cost as much as engineering a whole new iMac G5. On the other hand if they are lucky, it could be done very easily if the software and the system in general is set up for it.

Do you really think it's as just the design of a web-page that is necessary to make that change?

11. mpopkin macrumors 6502

mpopkin

Hate to break it to you all. In terms of Sheer Profit people can buy five ipods 40gbs and still not be Good apple customers. You have to let them know you are going to buy something big. The only way to become an actual Good Apple Customer is to buy a Power Series Apple(Powermac, Book) with these products apple actually makes a noticable profit margin and is willing to bend over back for you, for example they will give you free two day shipping, will push you up to the frontline and will even put you in front of ibook/imac/emac orders because you bought a higher end/higher profit for apple machine. Apple is a pro business and pro at knowing who is valuable and who is a smalltime. No Offense to you or to your purchasing of one or more Ipods, YOu are not a "great apple customer" but you are a customer and should be treated better, but because 1) Apple has halted production on iPod Mini 2) Demand is so great from the US alone and this is not counting the ultra high demand in the UK for this product 3) Logisitics is that you are in a high demand line and they would have to offer the same changes to everyone if they did it for you. So you need to realize this and live with it
    Good Luck

12. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Is this true??????

I just got an iPod mini shipped to me from Apple just last week.

13. jbembe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, there is already such a web page for ordering the engraving BEFORE you place the iPod order. I just want to access it AFTER I've made my order.

p.s. I'm in some way responsible (either owner or primary user) for the sale of a flat-panel imac, powerbook g4, and a G5 at either work or home. Don't presume what kind of apple customer I am. I will most likely purchase a powerbook whenever the G5 becomes available in it. I'll be using macs for the duration of my career, and ultimately I have the potential to become responsible for the sale of many more macs. If devoted customers like us don't speak up and gripe, then the pseudo-interested customers (i.e. these so-called "switchers" who must be convinced to abandon the safety net of their Windoze world) will find out that they can't change their order, get irritated and go for that Zen whatchamacallit that seems just as good anyways... Remember the 20 anniversary commercial where the running woman is wearing an iPod?

14. jbembe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I got the response back from Apple. They thanked me for the email and feedback and apologized for any inconvenience, nothing to get excited about. At least I put my two cents in and possibly did something, if only for improving customer service response. :rolleyes:

I just can't wait to get my hands on it now, with or without engraving. ;)