iPod Mini PC vs Mac formatting?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by aricher, Apr 8, 2005.

1. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

My mother won a 4 GB iPod Mini in a contest and wants me to load it up with content for her. She is a strictly PC-based person and will be using her PC to download iTMS songs to her new iPod.

Is it possible to format the mini so it will work with both a Windows machine and a Mac? I was hoping to be able to use my Mac to load it up rather than having to use my wife's Dell. All my audio content is on a Mac-formatted external HD.

I know this has been covered before but I can't find the old thread. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

A mac will be able to read/write on a PC-formatted iPod but not vice-versa. Is that what you mean?

3. aricher thread starter macrumors 68020

aricher

Exactly - that's what I seem to remember but I wanted confirmation. So the plan should be to format the iPod using the Windows machine and then load it up on the Mac - yes?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, that's the best way of doing it. That way you can share files between the two (if you enable disk usage) too.

5. aricher thread starter macrumors 68020

aricher

Thanks for the confirmation. I always appreciate the great fast responses and advice I get here.