iPod Mini Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Patmian212, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Apr 11, 2004
    Hey everyone... My old 5GB iPod died on me yesterday :( .... So I was thinking of getting an iPod Mini.
    I wanted to know what current owners think about it. What are the pros and cons. Oh and does it scratch very easily?

Thanks in advance,
  2. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    Sorry to hear about your old iPod, but at least you get to buy a new one.

My wife absolutely loves her pink mini. It sure seems like the exterior is far less prone to scratches and blemishes than my 20GB 4G iPod. If you don't need more than 4GB, I'd go for it...or wait for the 5GB version, the introduction of which is expected at MWSF in January. Even if they aren't immediately available, it ought to herald a modest price drop in the current 4GB model.
  3. mms macrumors 6502a

Oct 8, 2003
    For one thing, you should wait until MWSF. But in reference to the current model (which may or may not be drastically changed), only the screen and the wheel are really scratch-prone. The back, specifically the logo, can be scratched, but nowhere as easily as the chrome on the original. I don't use a case on mine and I don't have any problems with it.

It's considerably lighter and smaller than my mom's 40GB 4G, and the aluminum looks and feels very slick, much better than it does in photos. The best way for you to see this would be to compare it to the larger iPod in the Apple Store if you have access to one. The software is the same, except that the iPod has 12 hours of advertised battery life versus the mini's 8. The small storage may be your only concern, but I find that 4GB is fine for most people, because even with a larger library there is no reason to take all of it around with you at all times.

Edit: If you're concerned about eyesight, you might want to check that out. The screen on the mini is smaller and I believe the font is too.
  4. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Apr 11, 2004
    Sorry this is a bit off topic, but do ipod socks actually *protect* your iPod?
  5. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    the great OKLAHOMA....
    It will protect. Not from impact, but from scratching, You have to take it out to use the ipod though (unless you are fancy with the wired remote) The socks are more of a fashion statement.

6. selloutvixen macrumors member

Oct 28, 2003
    Connecticut, USA
    I just got a mini for christmas and I love it. I was finally able to put some songs on it thanks to my roommates computer. :)

I got my boyfriend the 15GB 3G iPod last year. It scratched like no tomorrow; especially the screen. I have yet to scratch mine, and it's already been through enough abuse that I should've seen some marks, but I haven't.

My advice is to wait for the 5GB model to come out, get the 4GB mini (after the price drops) and get an iSkin cover.
  7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    It's small.

It's expensive ($/GB)
    Only 4GB (which is probably more like 3.6GB formatted)