iPod mini rev.B?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by JDOG_, Aug 16, 2004.

1. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Hi,

Just bought a blue mini and am getting a bit anxious after looking at some product cycle information and putting 2&2 together with the recent release of the 4G iPod. Do you think there will be new iPod minis @ the Paris Expo?

Here are the things that make me thing there will be:
    -6GB microdrives (the same ones that are used in the mini) that have been in production for a couple of months.
    -4G release of the newer menu system with small advances & improved battery consumption.
    -Wierd color leak from Best Buy with those un-used labels of products that didn't exist.
    -The release of the new iMac, certainly will go better with another hardware annoucement.
    -The current mini has been around 7+ months...that's a long time in the world of the iPod these days.

Things that make me think there won't be an update until holiday season:
    -It's the holiday season, you'll sell more units if you release then.
    -The current mini is still in incredible demand.
    -Manufacturing limitations of the 6GB drives.

Thoughts, advice?

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

New iPod mini's sometime in the near future are a real possibility, but not even remotely a certainty. There are now bigger HDs available, and they could add features and improve battery life if they chose, but the current mini offerings are still selling VERY well.

3. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Whilst the technology for a Rev B mini exists I doubt very much that Apple will introduce one anytime soon, as they still can't meet demand for current orders and the mini has only recently begun shipping abroad.

4. belair macrumors 6502

belair

especially not in Paris

The mini only showed up in France a couple of weeks ago.
    Presenting a new mini and then telling all the europeen attendees that it wont ship for another six months would be ridiculous.

My guess is christmas. That way they can begin production now and start building a huge stock so they can make a worldwide launch.

World domination will be theirs.

Muhahhahahhaaa. muhahaahh.

5. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

If it's not soon (which it probably won't be) then it won't be until probably late January or maybe even later than that. If they miss the christmas buying season then theres no need for them to rush it out.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

They'll probably announce at MWSF in January.

They won't release now. They CAN'T! The Apple Centre near my home just got them in last week. Can you imagine them selling 4GB models with 8 hour battery life, and then selling a 6GB version weeks after? They just got their shti in check recently for non-US residents due to HD production issues, and now they're introducing another already? Don't think so. Hitachi (or was it Toshiba?) is only bringing them out in Autumn. That could mean October, but again, I really doubt it.

Wait until Feb or March of next year. Apple simply doesn't need to upgrade anything for them to remain attractive. Plus, for non-US residents, this product is only weeks old. ;)

7. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Apple will prob not release an new iPod mini any time soon. Demand is way to high for the current version. Why come out with something new. Apple will ride this out, and as sales begin to slow down, then that will be the time the introduce a new mini.

8. JDOG_ thread starter macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Good call. Thanks guys.

I think buying things is harder these days because we know so much more than we used to about manufacturing deals, product cycles and other little tidbits. It's good for consumers but at the same time maddening. Cheers.