Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B@SS_SHOCK

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2003
Perth, WA
I dunno about this, it's only 2Gb, but if it were alot cheaper than the iPod Mini (doubt it), then it could work out. I already like the sleekness of it. Also, dosen't Sony own Aiwa now? In that case, why didin't they rival the iPod using the Aiwa name?

HZWS2000_M.jpg

Product info Here

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
a bit biased, eh? :D

i think it looks pretty good. i don't know the size, but the specs are on par with iPod mini - except the capacity. if this thing is 2 GB but $150-200, it will be a good competition for iPod mini.

the problem is with the scroller. it's just not as efficient as iPod's "scroll dial." that is the brilliance of iPod design - scroll dial interface is far more efficient because it's continuous AND it's acceleration sensitive. scroller is continuous but not as sensitive to acceleration - to make it sensitive, you'd need a loose scroller to let the user spin the scroller fast, but by doing so, it will be too sensitive to small scrolls...

EDIT: size: actually this thing is even lighter than iPod mini. if the price is right, it will be a very good product.

iPod mini: 3.6 x 2.0 x 0.5, 3.6 oz
aiwa: 3.6 x 2.2 x 0.4, 2.4 oz

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Originally posted by Macmaniac
Guess what, its $330 way more then the iPod mini, so the mini is a much better deal in terms of a mini player, or you could always get a 15 gig iPod.

wow. where did you get that price from? and how the heck do they expect to sell this thing for that kind of a price?

and we thought iPod mini was overpriced... :rolleyes:

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
Re: iPod Mini rival?

Originally posted by B@SS_SHOCK
I dunno about this, it's only 2Gb, but if it were alot cheaper than the iPod Mini (doubt it), then it could work out. I already like the sleekness of it. Also, dosen't Sony own Aiwa now? In that case, why didin't they rival the iPod using the Aiwa name?

Product info Here

umm, aiwa is a branch of sony. that's how they started. never knew that till i was in a sony outlet, and they were selling an aiwa cd player... underneath it was a quick little thing talking about how aiwa was created as sony's lower cost division...

matt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.