iPod Mini rival?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by B@SS_SHOCK, Jan 14, 2004.

1. B@SS_SHOCK macrumors member

I dunno about this, it's only 2Gb, but if it were alot cheaper than the iPod Mini (doubt it), then it could work out. I already like the sleekness of it. Also, dosen't Sony own Aiwa now? In that case, why didin't they rival the iPod using the Aiwa name?

[​IMG]

Product info Here

2. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

3. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

a bit biased, eh? :D

i think it looks pretty good. i don't know the size, but the specs are on par with iPod mini - except the capacity. if this thing is 2 GB but $150-200, it will be a good competition for iPod mini.

the problem is with the scroller. it's just not as efficient as iPod's "scroll dial." that is the brilliance of iPod design - scroll dial interface is far more efficient because it's continuous AND it's acceleration sensitive. scroller is continuous but not as sensitive to acceleration - to make it sensitive, you'd need a loose scroller to let the user spin the scroller fast, but by doing so, it will be too sensitive to small scrolls...

EDIT: size: actually this thing is even lighter than iPod mini. if the price is right, it will be a very good product.

iPod mini: 3.6 x 2.0 x 0.5, 3.6 oz
    aiwa: 3.6 x 2.2 x 0.4, 2.4 oz

4. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Guess what, its $330 way more then the iPod mini, so the mini is a much better deal in terms of a mini player, or you could always get a 15 gig iPod.

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

wow. where did you get that price from? and how the heck do they expect to sell this thing for that kind of a price?

and we thought iPod mini was overpriced... :rolleyes:

6. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

It looks cool to me, but 2 gigs for that type of money is crazy. They must have apple's marketing team.

7. mkaake macrumors 65816

Re: iPod Mini rival?

umm, aiwa is a branch of sony. that's how they started. never knew that till i was in a sony outlet, and they were selling an aiwa cd player... underneath it was a quick little thing talking about how aiwa was created as sony's lower cost division...

matt