iPod mini sells more than Shuffle!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by eXan, Mar 15, 2005.

1. eXan macrumors 601

Jan 10, 2005
    According to Apple Store's Top Sellers list iPod mini is 1st, iPod Shuffle is 2nd! :eek:

Can somebody explain this?
  2. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Jan 27, 2005
    This is because the mini is sold in greater numbers than the shuffle. :rolleyes: ;)

storage maybe? who knows, why wonder?
  3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    In Apple Store Norway it's even worse (from a Shuffle POV):
    Top Sellers (Bestselgere):
    # iPod mini
    # iPod photo
    # PowerBook
    # Mac mini
    # iPod shuffle
    # AirPort Express

The Shuffle is #5...!

I think one explanation might be that the sale over counter takes a bit of the sale, specially on the smaller and cheaper devices... but this is just my guess, and must NOT in any way be taken as The Truth... ;)

Edit: I just noticed that the sales list in UK was the same as the Norwegian, and suspect that the Top Seller list above is for Europe and not Norway...
  4. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

Feb 25, 2004
    Worth starting a thread over? :rolleyes:

Just because it's cheaper, doesn't mean it'll sell more. The iPod mini has been around for a while, people know what they're getting when they buy it. It has a screen, cute colours, more capacity. And it's not hugely expensive.

5. 748s macrumors 6502a

Dec 14, 2001
    Tiger Bay
    apple AU........shuffle not sighted yet.

1.iPod w/Click Wheel :confused:
    2.Powerbook G4
    4.Mac OS X 10.3 Single User
    5.iBook 14"
    6.JBL Creature 2.1 Speakers - White
    7.Incase laptop bags
  6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I wonder if the closeout specials are counted in the top 10 list? With those and the new iPod mini with longer battery life and stronger colors, that could explain it. I know I just went with the iPod mini over the shuffle due to the cost difference between the old one and the Shuffle did not make sense. Add to that the greater ease of use.
  7. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
  8. ziwi macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004
    Right back where I started...
    Don't let the top sellers on the Apple store lead you to believe anything...it is just the online store - wait for the quarterly reports to see how something is really doing...
  9. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    I think that is correct. And it makes a sort of sense. At $99, the Shuffle is almost an impulse purchase for many folks. Lord knows, I have to fight the impulse every time I'm in an Apple Store. I would bet, compared to the other iPod models, they are selling a much higher percentage of Shuffles via brick and mortar than via the online store.
  10. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Assuming the sales rankings represent a real trend, here's a guess at why: People buy the iPod mini to upgrade a flash player they already have. The 512 MB iShuffle isn't much of an upgrade from a 256 MB Rio player, and the mini is only $50 more than the 1 GB shuffle, so people take the next leap and buy a $200 mini, with 4 times the storage.
  11. haiggy macrumors 65816

Aug 20, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    I know why

I know why... it's 'cause my sister just bought a mini :)
  12. quidire macrumors 6502

Aug 11, 2004
    Washington DC (in Kalorama Triangle)
    I don't know if he is typical, but my gf's brother (PC user) got interested in an iPod shuffle to go running with.
    • He visited an Apple store, thought it was quite nice, went home empty handed but decided to get one at a future date. Decided 1GB is worth the +50
    • He returned a few weeks later, the mini price had dropped; decided the extra 4 GB and screen for +50 was worth considering, went home empty handed, unsure of which to get.
    • He returned a week later, bought a mini, and now plans to buy an additional 512MB iPshuffle.
    • He's beginning to consider buying a Mac laptop (he has an emachine desktop).

My point is, the iPod shuffle may even have more value to Apple in getting people in the door than it does as a product. Lots of companies use actual loss-leaders to get customers; if Apple makes a little money on the iPshuffles that sell, and can upsell the rest...

13. eXan thread starter macrumors 601

Jan 10, 2005
    In my school I have noticed only 3 ppl using iPod:
    Me (green Mini 1G)
    My classmate (iPod 40 GB Click Wheel)
    Girl from another class (iPod Photo 40 GB)

Not bad!