iPod mini??? Updates soon?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by SkudShark, Jan 27, 2005.

1. SkudShark macrumors member

SkudShark

Any idea if iPod miniwill be having an update soon?

Debating between current mini and a 1 gig shuffle, only need enough music to pass a few days before reloading so 20 gig is not needed.

Just curious if I should wait on a mini, or just get a shuffle now.

2. dotnina macrumors 6502a

I know, what the heck happened to the Mini update?

Last I read on AI, they're coming around early March. Being the impatient person that I am, I caved and bought a Shuffle. :) I highly recommend.

3. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Same question as the original post.

My wife has been craving a mini and now is set on getting one. She wants to go this weekend to the apple store but then there is this rumor... what to do? Do I a. tell her no no wait longer or b. let her be happy and make the purchase. She is leaving for Germany the 11th of Feb and is hoping to have the mini for travel.

Any opinions?

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Worst case, you lose a GB or so. It's not like the mini's meant to hold a vast collection anyway, and odds are the next rev will be just a disk capacity bump - maybe even add a higher capacity model while keeping the current 4GB.

Let her be happy. The mini is nice now, it'll be nice later, no one knows when the update's coming, and, when it arrives, the mini you just bought won't be any worse.

5. SkudShark thread starter macrumors member

SkudShark

So you really like the shuffle? Main reasons I like it are: It wont scratch easy, its small, and seems liek it'll be less prone to breaking than a hard drive.

hows the sound quality and volume capability? So tempting, and in that sport case it just looks too cool ^_^

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

If the mini update is just from 4GB to 5GB as rumored, that's not a big deal. On the other hand, most of the iPod updates have also involved new features (and new software that won't run on the older iPods). Apple seems to want to push people to upgrade, so it is possible that the new mini will be able to do something that the current mini cannot.

7. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Don't count on Apple releasing a small update to the mini from 4 to 5GB. I believe they are waiting for the 8GB HDD to be ready, so the update seems worth it to its fans. :)

8. dotnina macrumors 6502a

I said all sorts of things about how awful an iPod without a screen would be, and I was one of the Shuffle Bashers when it came out. :D However, it is so small and durable, and the Autofill integration with iTunes is so cool, I decided to just get it.

I used to have a Mini, and the sound quality / volume is highly comparable. In fact, I haven't noticed a difference. The only things I don't like about it is the extremely long headphone cord (especially when it's on the lanyard) and an occasional 2-3 second pause between songs sometimes that I never noticed with the Mini.

Think about it like this: you're not buying a Shuffle, you're just "renting" it. When the new Minis come out someday, you can sell the Shuffle you were "renting" and enjoy the new Mini ... if you still want the Mini, that is. ;)

9. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I’m not so sure about this. It’s time for an update, so I can see them bumping to 5GB. The bigger harddisks (10GB) are still months away, so these could be saved for the next revision.