iPod mini vs. iPod 3 vs. 4

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by cgnjny, Sep 16, 2004.

1. cgnjny macrumors newbie

I am not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I have yet to get an iPod (I feel like I'm one of the few left in the free-world without one!) and am torn between the mini, the 3G and the 4G.

I know the 'external' usability issues and differences between all three, but does the 4G have any internal / engineering differences that make it worth the purchase?

I do remember reading somewhere that the 4G has been re-engineered for battery issues (a.k.a. -- longer life) -- is that true? Are the hard drive and the board / parts more secure - "sturdier" as the generations have past? Are there any additional under-the-hood changes (beyond software / bios updates) that make the 4G more attractive.

I'm wondering if saving a few bucks on an older 3G or mini is worth the hassle.

Thanks.

2. numark macrumors member

Yes, the iPod 4G does have a longer-lasting battery (at least according to Apple, though a few sites have tested it and said that it lasts more than the 3G).

I haven't heard anything about any changes to the hard drive. It's pretty much the same thickness and everything so it doesn't seem like they changed anything. I'm sure Apple would have hyped up any hard drive changes as well.

Other than that, it's mostly minor changes in the onboard OS. I think the one thing was being able to speed up and slow down Audible audiobooks. Really nothing that the average person would really care about.

However, I picked up a 4G iPod last night (my first! :D) and I really like the new click wheel. It seems a lot better than the old 3G system. Some people might say that they don't like the design of the wheel, but to me it looks pretty attractive in real life. Considering that the difference between 3G and 4G when I bought mine was only $20, I would recommend getting the 4G if it's not too much more.