iPod Mini vs. iPod 4G

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mmoin, Aug 18, 2004.

1. mmoin macrumors regular

Jun 15, 2001
    I've decided to replace my 10GB 2G iPod, but I'm not sure which one to get. My MP3 collection is pretty large (about 45 gigs), and I don't really intend to keep it all on an iPod, so the small storage of the mini isn't a huge deal. What attracts me to the mini is the size for working out, but I have to admit that it seems that getting 5x the storage for $50 more is a pretty amazing deal. Anything I'm not considering here? How have you guys made your decisions regarding which to buy?

2. NCTRNL macrumors regular

Aug 17, 2004
    Kansas City
    I am buying a regular 4G iPod. I just can't justify losing that much storage for the same price in a little smaller case...
  3. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
    Well, the regular version has a mirror back that scratches real easy, even w/ protective casing, so if you like to keep your stuff mint, forgetaboutit. The mini has anodized aluminum, which is a lot more scratch proof. Personally, I'd take the mini. I mean who really carries their entire music collection in an iPod... excluding people on this forum.
  4. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

Dec 28, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Now that the regular iPod has a click wheel, I'd really recommend going for the 4G. I replaced my original 5 gig 'Pod with a 20 gig 4G and I love it.

I was tempted by the mini for quite a while, too (COLORS!!! :D). But the 4G is great, and the compatibility with add-ons like the iTalk is a nice bonus.
  5. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Feb 19, 2003
    Planet Zebes
    If you do not care about having all the music at once, get a mini. With a 20GB iPod you're still not getting all of your music on it, it's bigger, and it scratches easier. If you want more storage, go for the 40GB. My wife and I recently sold our 3G 20 & 40GB's and got a blue mini and a 4G 40GB. They are both great.....though the mini seems more enjoyable to carry around. I have 30+GB of music and I was able to fit all of my favorites onto the mini. The wheel is less sensitive on the 4G than on the mini so it's a bit easier to navigate than the mini(but not much). If you're worried about scratching the iPod up, you are limited right now with the 4G b/c there are hardly any cases. I love both of them so I know it's a difficult decision: if you need more than 1,000 songs.....get a 4G - if you want a smaller size and more style......get a mini.
  6. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

Dec 28, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Jovian9 makes some good points, but there are at least a handful of cases available for the 4G iPod.
    Timbuk2's simple case is really nice (the pocket in front is great for managing your earbuds).
    Incase also has a nice sleeve available (and it was on the shelf at the Apple Store Oakbrook the other day).
    And there's always Apple's case (which most people - myself included - would tell you to avoid).

But the Timbuk2 and Incase cases are both really great choices.
  7. daxdagr8t macrumors member

Jun 1, 2004
    My 4g 20gig ipod just arrived today :D .i chose the the 4g over the mini because the mini does not support voice recording.I guess it depends on what you are going to mainly use your ipod.
  8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    I have a mini and it's great, but I'd go for a 4th gen. if I had as much music as the original poster.
  9. Apmonia macrumors regular

Jul 29, 2003
    I have around the same amount of music (38 GBs) that you do and I bought the mini. It has held up much better than I thought it would and hasn't got a scratch yet. And since it's all music that you like, there will be something on there you want to listen to.

The other nice thing is the size. Running with it is a breeze compared to my old 3G model, I can't even feel it on my side. It is nice and small compared to the larger iPods and fits very nicely in backpacks and pockets.

The only argument that one can make is the size issue: yes for fifty bucks you can have a bigger iPod, but bigger is not always better (at least that's what I keep tellin' the ladies).

All in all, I think the mini would be the best choice, especially if you work out with it at all.

10. iMax531 macrumors member

Jul 29, 2003
    SF Bay Area/JHU
    I am in the same boat, replacing my 2G ipod 10GB with either a mini or a 4G 20GB. I think I'm going to go with the 4G though, because there are more technical accessories for it, it has a longer battery life, not much higher price, a lot more capacity, and and newer generation of firmware that's not backward compatible.

The mini is way cuter though.

Tough choice. And neither is a bad one.
  11. OziMac macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2003
    I would recommend a Mini in your circumstances for many of the reasons listed above.

However, I would also note that I find the 4g iPod's Clickwheel far superior than that of the Mini.