iPod mini with Win & Mac?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by junker, Dec 6, 2006.

1. junker macrumors 6502

junker

I recently purchased a used 2nd gen (I think) green, firewire 4 GB mini ipod. I have a Mac at home and a PC at work....I loaded the ipod at home with the songs - brought it to work and it wants to restore (format) the ipod so that it works with XP.
    Does anyone know a workaround (if there isnt already a way with itunes) to make this work on both computers?

I'm relatively proficient (if not daring/stupid) enough to go at it thru unorthodox channels - though no Linux solutions please!

Not absolutely sure of itunes version at home (version 6 maybe, I know it's not the very latest!) OS 10.4.7 and Win XP Home

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Format it on the PC at work then take it home at the end of the day and use it on the Mac. Macs can read Windows and Mac formatted iPods but Windows can't read Mac formatted iPods.

So, if you format your iPod for Windows and set it to Manually Manage Songs and Playlists you'll be able to use it on both systems.

The one caveat is that you'll need to do any iPod firmware updates on the PC rather than the Mac because you can only update an iPod with the OS it's formatted for.

3. junker thread starter macrumors 6502

junker

Thanks chundles - that's kind of what I was afraid the answer might be... I have a pc at home, but none of the music I want is on there... guess I'll have to copy it over to the pc...no biggie really, just time short! :)

What about splitting the ipod mini into two partitions have one for the mac and one for the PC...never heard of this being done...but I never asked either!

offtopic - I thought you based of Australia? Didn't you used to have a avatar with a guy holding up a glass?

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Nope, won't work.

And there's no need to move the music over to the home PC, once the iPod is formatted for Windows you can load songs from the Mac onto it - you'll just be able to use it on Windows too.

5. junker thread starter macrumors 6502

junker

another question for this ipod... how can scroll/view my songs? It appears that I can only click through, one at a time (sequentially) I dont see the songs listed as a list. Is this just the design (limitation) of this gen. mini?

I had a 60 GB Ipod Video at one point and I could scroll around a list of the songs and select the song I wanted....but this seems to only play in order...am I missing something?

nevermind...doh! I found them... what a dolt! The options to see the composers; artists; podcasts etc. weren't "on" ....damn I feel dumb.....and I consider myself to be computer literate..:p

6. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

You don't have to copy all your music to the PC at home. Once the iPod is formatted to windows, the Mac will still recognise it and load to it. Load all you music from the Mac and then you plug it into a windows computer and listen to your music.