iPod Mini won't play while in dock.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Capt Underpants, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Hello, all. I just got the dock for my iPod mini, and an FM transmitter. I want to be able to connect the mini to the dock, and connect the FM transmitter to the line out of the dock connector, so I can listen to my music via my stereo. However, when I connect my mini to my computer, everything auto-updates (which is fine). When it is finished updating, it says that it is ok to disconnect the thing. It won't let me go into any menus or listen to songs. It just stays on the ok to disconnect screen. Is this normal? Is there a way to get around this, so I can listen while charging?

Thanks

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

In iTunes unmount the iPod (or drag the iPod icon to the trash). With my 30Gb standard iPod this leaves it charging whilst letting me use the menus.

3. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Forgot to say that I'm using windows, sorry.....
    I tried ejecting the iPod (same thing, right?), and that doesn't work.

4. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

you shouldn't need the FM Transmitter at all to listen on your stereo. of course, i am assuming you have some sort of line input on your stereo right? if so, remove the FM Transmitter from the equation and see if it works just plugging directly into your stereo. at least you'll be able to tell if it's just the transmitter and there isn't something wrong with yr Pod or dock.

5. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Yes, that works fine. However, I like the look of the dock sitting next to my computer, and i don't want to run a cable from my desk to my radio. So, does anyone know how to fix this?

6. TDT macrumors member

Unfortunately, with windows, the only way around this that I've found is to unplug the USB cable from your computer after you are done copying stuff to it.

What I do is I have a dock too, and a line cable going to my stereo system, and after I update the ipod (maybe once a week, if that), I just keep the USB unplugged. Once that's done, the ipod will go back to the menu screen, and play just fine.

It's kinda a screwed up way to do this, I know...it's the only way I've found with windows to get past this. Heck, but at least it works playing just fine after that :)

7. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Ya, that does suck.... O well. I just moved my dock over to my stereo. It still looks good there, and I guess I'll use the cable to sync the pod.

8. methodshop macrumors newbie

just unplug the firewire cable... :cool: i do the same exact thing at work with a extra pair of computer speakers.