Ipod mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by *Y*, Nov 5, 2004.

1. *Y* macrumors regular

Hey Guys, I was wondering if it is a good time to buy an iPod mini. I have the money and its burning a hole in my pocket. I really want to get one. However I am concerned that they will be upgraded in January. What do you think will be upgraded. Is there a possibility the 2nd Generation iPod mini will include a color screen. So is it wise to buy now or should I wait. :confused:

2. dotnina macrumors 6502a

I share your concern. I have this creeping feeling that MWSF will be the launch point for 2nd gen iPod Minis, with 6 or 8 gig HDs and a color screen.

That said, I just bought a Mini this week. :D I couldn't wait any longer. I decided I'm going to sell it the minute the new ones come out (or better yet, the minute rumors of a new one start up). ;)

Regular iPods are updated every 6-9 months. In January, it will be ~11 months since Minis first went on sale. I think 11 months is about the time when you need to update a product to keep it competitive. Also, if they're introduced at MWSF, you have the "1-year anniversary" factor, which would just be cute. :)

---

EDIT: Come to think of it, I'm not sure anyone yet makes an 8 gig HD that would fit in the Mini. So, 6 gig might be the max HD size, I don't know.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I don't have any information to base this on other than HD size... but I would seriously doubt that an update for the mini will have a color screen.

4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I doubt there will be any updates to the Mini's in the near future. Demand is still pretty high for them. An upgrade to 8 gigs? The mini was designed for those who don't have tons of music. 4 works fine for now. sure it will get increased, but prob not that soon. And I doubt a color screen is coming. The mini is not meant to have photos viewed on it, and I dont think steve is gonna throw one in just for the hell of it.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Might see a flash based mini before we see an 8GB HD model.

Sushi

6. Jaz macrumors regular

As long as demand outstrips supply upgrades will stay some time away. With the holiday buying season in full swing, demand will stay very high.

There's always something better around the corner, but if it does the job now then go for it.

7. Pass2Yao macrumors member

*Y*, I just bought a mini and I couldn't be happier. They could come out tomorrow with a mini that's in color, plays music videos, and mixes my drinks, and I'd still be happy with my mini. It's everything I want, small and light, attractive packaging, user-friendly...so while it'd be easy for me to yearn for the newer product that inevitably arrives, I have to admit that what I have is all I need. I'm completely satisfied.

8. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

If you dont have many songs then go for it. I have about 6GB of songs and i got the new 60GB iPod Photo, it works great in getting all my pics/songs on the move + i use it as an external HD and a backup to for my laptop. For the money and stuff you can do i think the normal iPod is better.

9. *Y* thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys. I went ahead and ordered a silver iPod mini. It is supposed to arrive next Monday. Anyways thanks for all your help. I am sure I will enjoy my new iPod since this is my first one. I can't wait for it to arrive. :D

*Y*