iPod Mini's... Coming

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Feb 10, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

First stock of iPod Mini's should start appearing in Apple stores on February 16th.

The initial batch of iPod Mini products shipments, however, will be of very limited quantities.

The iPod Mini was introduced at MacWorld San Francisco 2004 in January. Related Link: iPod Mini Photos

2. macrumors 6502a

iChan

cool... just waiting for european ones now

3. macrumors member

Hope fully the price goes down to $200 in a few months

4. macrumors 68000

Well, FWIW I ordered mine the second the Apple online store came back up after the mini-iPods were announced, and it's still saying it'll ship on or before the 17th of Feb (as it did when I ordered).

TM

5. macrumors regular

If it goes down to $199, I'll get it just so I can use the memory card for my digital camera.

6. macrumors 6502a

I can't wait till I try one out. If I'm not mistaken, my Apple people said that the in-ear headphones will be avaiable when the mini comes out. They then had the in-ear headphones in last week. Could the mini's be in stock already, but not on sale? If I'm not mistaken, that's what happened with the iBook G4s.

7. macrumors 65816

1macker1

If the price goes down to 199, i'll get one. But other than that, i'd have to save for the 15G...which is exactly what apple wants.

8. macrumors G5

nagromme

What to do??

You can have $60 off an iPod mini by Feb 14. But it looks I won't have had the chance to see one before then! I'm pretty sure it's the one I want, and $60 off makes the price right--but I like to see something in person first! And I'm curious about the next revision of the regular iPod. What to do??

($60 off because $30 engraving is free through March, and orders $299+ get $30 off through Val. Day. An iPod mini plus Dock is close to $299, and I'd add a small iTMS gift certificate to myself to cross the line :) So, since I'd want engraving and a dock anyway, this Val. Day deal is tempting.)

9. macrumors 6502a

Cool!

Now how about announcing something NEW Apple?? We're waiting!!!! The holes in your product line are still there!!!

10. macrumors 68000

Huh? There's no memory card in the iPod or iPod mini.

TM

11. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Maybe they could do some prize with mini-ipods and mini M&M's... :)

12. macrumors regular

Gravity

When do I get mine?

My wife ordered me one on January 17th.

From CDW.com

Any chance a third-party reseller will ship when Apple does?

13. macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Woopie doo, i don't expect price cuts either on a 4 month old peice of equipment once it hits european shores while the yanks loard it up with their wonderful pricing.

Thankfully i'm waiting till September and seeing what happens and then i'll make a purchase while i'm on holiday to Japan, even THEY are cheaper than in the UK as well!

I did a price check and a 15GB ipod is £160 over there...i cannot imagine what the mini will be but thats the only exciting thing about it so far other than it comes in blue. :)

I might be in the market for a new PB as well and the price again in Japan ... gah!

14. macrumors 6502a

Gizmotoy

According to sources quoted here the iPod mini uses a Hitachi CompactFlash hard drive. These drives usually sell on the open market for more money than the mini costs. Therefore, those with high-end digital cameras that support this particular kind of CompactFlash may be able to get quite a deal by buying a mini and ripping out the flash card.

15. macrumors G5

nagromme

Right, amazingly enough these drives are CF-sized and -shaped. They may not be flash RAM inside, but they are apparently pin-compatible and may be used to replace a flash card.

I've seen the other player that uses these dissected. The HD does indeed look like a flash card! And people are indeed butchering those to get the drive out.

16. macrumors regular

what is this $30 off deal for valentines day? how do i redeem it?

17. macrumors 603

Stella

The in ear headphones are already on sale... at least here in Toronto and have been for around two or more weeks...

18. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Re: What to do??

I don't really know that that's $60 "off"....

But... I've questioned getting an iPod engraved... I'm sure it limits the resell value of it... I don't know if I'd want to buy a used iPod that said, "Love Sally" or something on the back of it... the missus might get mad... ;)

19. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

It is a Hitachi _Microdrive_. Whether or not it actually has the CompactFlash interface isn't really clear.

arn

20. macrumors 6502a

Wonder Boy

never fear. if they sell out, you could pick up an orignal sized ipod with almost 4x the storage for 50$ more.

21. macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

Re: Re: What to do??

i could touch that up with a dremmel tool... ;)

no worries! besides, get a better deal on it! :D

this is how college kids think... we're all BROKE

22. macrumors 68000

Re: Re: What to do??

Exactly. The prospect of using the hard drive in a digital camera has been circulating since the minis were announced, but it's not yet known if it would work.

Whether this canibalization process works or not, there is no memory card in the iPod or iPod mini.

TM

23. macrumors 6502

I really don't think this is the case. This can be found in the tech specs section of the iPod mini site on Apples webpage.

Skip protection Up to 25 minutes

If it was a flash chip then this would be infinite because of zero load time. The mini seems to use the same 32Mb buffer that the iPod does.

24. macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

Re: What to do??

Tell me more about this $30 off deal through valentines. How do I find it? Where can I redeem it? Can I combine this with the Academic discount?

Curious minds want to know.

25. macrumors member

A more likely (and less insane) possibility is that he would simply use the Belkin Media Reader to transfer files from his camera's memory card to the iPod's hard drive.