Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
Bedawyn said:
This article Who Will Sue Apple First is so, so pathetic, but I'm at work and don't have time to rebut it. I'm hoping other people will do the Mac-fanatic thing and jump on it for me.

But its not a monopoly yet. People can still choose who they want to get their player from, and how they choose to get their music. Just to get it songs from MS and then play them on an iPod, you have to burn them to a cd. Same thing the other way around with iTunes, burn them and then onto another player. There is no monopoly, just businesses trying to not operate together.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Ummm... So people might sue Apple because the iPod supports Apple's proprietary file format but not Microsoft's proprietary format?

Definitely sounds fishy to me, especially considering the fact that iPod also supports non-proprietary formats such as CDs and MP3s.

90 percent of HD music players is not 90 percent of all computerized music players, and it's a tiny fraction of the market for all music players, especially when you count radios, CD players, and tape players. This is a very different situation from the Windows/Netscape suit, where Microsoft controlled 90 percent of the means of accessing the Internet. The Internet could only be accessed via computer, and Microsoft controlled 90 percent of that market. There are many ways to access music, and Apple controls only a tiny portion of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.