iPod Mounting Problems

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Cullen, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Cullen macrumors newbie

Hi everybody, i have a problem with my mac mini g4 and ipod mini, whenever i plug in the ipod it mounts to the desktop but not to itunes. Alternatively ive tried the songbird ipod extension too, it didnt work either. I repaired permissions on my mac and repaired the disk on my ipod, but nothing. I also reinstalled itunes and no help there. Thanks to anybody who can tell me what the f%$k is going on.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you create a new user account, does it mount there? If it does, then look for a file named com.apple.iPod.plist in the Preferences folder on your original account, drag it to the Desktop and reboot. :)

3. Cullen thread starter macrumors newbie

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, try trashing a file with the same name from the hard drive's Preference folder. Spotlight should help you find it. :)

5. Cullen thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Cullen thread starter macrumors newbie

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do you have another cable you could use? Does it mount on other machines? :)

8. Cullen thread starter macrumors newbie

I used the ipod on my g4 powerbook 800 with no problems. but thats broken now..

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is your PowerBook broken or can you no longer connect the iPod to your PowerBook? To help determine which component is having the problem, try using a different cable and try using a different machine. Once we work out where the problem lies, we should be able to get it fixed much quicker. :)

10. Cullen thread starter macrumors newbie

My powerbook always worked with it but now the powerbook has no screen (ignorant friend, Very sad story..) and for some reason the external DVI wont work.

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

How uncool. Anyway, try the iPod on a different machine, if possible. :)

12. Cullen thread starter macrumors newbie

Im taking my mac mini to the apple store today to attempt to fix this problem, as well as a really rediculously stupid thing with the internal clock, and some network prefrences pane problems. Yea, my computers pretty screwed, i sometimes feel like i have a windows in disguise..:mad:

I really just want to do an Archive and Install, but idk if theyre going to be willing to help me with that without buying a new copy of OSX (my cds are scratched.)

Regardless, thanks for the help Mad Jew.

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No worries mate. Without knowing too much information, I reckon your System Preferences problem may be this. I don't know what your clock problem is, but resetting the PMU/SMC will reset this device. Hopefully they'll get it fixed at the store for you. If not, post back with more details on your problems. :)

14. Cullen thread starter macrumors newbie

Neither worked :( . Apple wants to charge me $75 for an archive and install! thats one family christmas present gone! My only hope now to save my money is to find someone with Mac Mini OSX CDs.

15. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

Are you using a usb hub to plug the ipod into the computer? I was having ipod mounting trouble, too, until I plugged it directly into the computer.

For the system difficulties, there is also a free program that'll check for corrupted plists,

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22790

and another one that'll check your memory,

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24508

also, try "applejack" available at version tracker.

Who knows...? Good luck

As for the OSX discs: bittorent