iPod- mp3 or PDA

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by samdweck, Oct 6, 2002.

1. macrumors regular

Okay, I liked the iPod when it was an mp3 player, but now that apple thinks it's a crappy pda, I am not so happy. Too many stupid features, and it's not what it is meant to be. Why?

2. macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Re: iPod- mp3 or PDA

I don't own an iPod yet, but I plan on getting one around Christmas. I personally think these new features are great. When I get one, I'm getting rid of my stupid Palm Pilot. I am constantly using an electronic calendar and address book, plus I am constantly listening to music. Putting all these things together in one device was a splendid idea. If you don't like the features, then don't use them. It's as simple as that. All this talk over an Apple PDA, when the iPod IS the Apple PDA. It's genius on Apple's part.

3. macrumors 65816

strider42

ummmm, like what. its not like they added a new interface. they just added a contacts section. Apple in no way thinks its a PDA. they just added some really basic functionality. If you don't want to use them, just don't use those features. Otherwise it works exactly as it always did.

4. macrumors 68040

I don't see what the problem is. It's not like Apple is forcing to use contacts or pay extra for the feature.

5. macrumors 6502a

al256

If you don't like you could always try to get the iPod software 1.0 with no contacts or calender. Just MP3 capabilities and an easter egg. I don't you should care so much about the limited functions of the iPod besides playing MP3s. It's no big deal! If you want a good limited MP3 player go buy a rio 500 for prolly less than $100 dollars.

6. macrumors newbie

Who cares if it's a crappy Apple PDA? Any Apple PDA is better then no APPLE PDA!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

7. macrumors regular

It's the finest mp3 player in the universe, but as a PDA it's incredibly sub-standard. No way of inputting data into the contact list or calendar. It's not a bad way of viewing existing data if you don't have anything else with you. Me, I'll just use the iPod as an mp3 player, and use my Handspring Treo as my PDA.

8. macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Not only does it not affect the way your music is played but it is not even like it inhibits on your usage... all the "PDA" features are in a special "Extras" folder off the root so if you do not want the extras just do not open the extras folder.