iPod Muggings Will Go Through The Roof (and word of warning)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BakedBeans, Oct 13, 2005.

1. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

iPod video will surely rise the rate of muggings, people will take these out of their pockets to view on trains, planes and busses (something you didnt have to do when listening to the ipod just for music) this is going to show people exactly what you have and a sweet looking ipod with a cool video on it will be a major attraction to theives, do you think it will get worse?

word of warning: just be-careful when your out and about with your new ipod videos

2. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

i never thought of that side of it:eek:

i wont be getting one anytimje soon anyway, as my 30GB photo does the job. we cannot buy tv episodes in the UK yet, and i have no videos worth watching on an ipod. that's why i got a powerbook.

i like to keep mine in my pocket, and will be getting an airclick for it so i can just use the remote.

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Nah, muggings will go down because there are so many iPods out there.

4. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Don't think it will be any worse than currently. Most people don't advise having your iPod out in the open unless you're changing it anyhow. It will be just like the Met warnings about don't use your phone in public places in case you get mugged. Same idea; don't use your iPod to watch video in potentially dodgy places.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So the signature white earphones don't give it away?

And like Lacero/edesign said, iPod muggings will go down because there are so many out there anyway.

Maybe people with nice mobile phones like an O2 or a Sony S710.....the ones with the huge screens and are obviously nice phones, should walk around in fear as well.

7. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

you do make the good point that people will look silly for staring at the little screen... but you cant go around worried about being mugged all the time

8. BakedBeans thread starter macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

yeah, and soldiers, dont get shot in the face

oh, and dont get hit by a bus... and win the lottery.

ipod music only = in your pocket, up through your jacket into your ears.
    ipod video = out infront of everyone on the bus etc...

it makes sense, so enough of the wise cracks please

9. BakedBeans thread starter macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

when did i say they should go around being worried about it, i just think a side effect of this will mean its out on display by the nature of this thing.

dont worry about it just use sense, especially if your a 14 year old kid or a girl.

it makes sense.

10. BakedBeans thread starter macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

in which part of my post did i say 'walk around in fear"?

i take it people havent seen that advert (might be uk only). its very tongue in check where teenagers are speaking to their 'attackers' saying things like 'look at my brand new mobile photo, im going to leave it in my bag in a minute and leave it hear, feel free to steal it and run away'. it has the tag line "dont advertise to criminals"

im just suggesting that people using their new ipod video will entice criminals but 'advertising' their new ipod

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Three posts in a row is probably more dangerous to your health than running around with a video iPod on a subway. :p

I agree with Abstract that there have always been the white earbuds as a dead give-away. IMO, the only reason there may be more muggings is because the iPod will actually be out in the open and therefore easier to grab. As for the argument that the more iPods out there means less theft - that's only accounting for the slightly lower demand on the thieves' behalf for iPods but not the fact that there is a much larger population of iPods and therefore it is now easier to steal one.

Did that make sense? Do I need to go to bed?

12. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

I never use the earbuds; can't stand the feeling of something stuck in my ear.

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Can I ask what you do use?

Also, do you feel safer? :p

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Most people should do the same, since people generally just use whatever set of earphones that are included. Should they just not use the iPod when people are around?

Or what about people in Australia who don't WEAR jackets? Those wires will be hard to hide, no? I wear very little clothing as it is.

15. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Just because it's capable of video, it doesn't mean that that's all it does. I see many people (including myself if/when I get one) still using it for music, but having movies as a nice extra

16. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Will people be mugged for their iPod, or the £10K worth of music sitting inside it? Or is e-Music worthless as soon as it leave the store. :)

17. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

An iPod's max value is $399.

A credit card has a max value of at least 5 times that, yet we've been carrying them around for years without mass hysteria.

Why the sudden panic now?

If someone is going to go through the trouble of mugging you, I think whether or not you have an iPod is the least of their worries.

18. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Yes but when the CC is stolen, the owner will usually cancel that account rendering it useless. That iPod will still work. That iPod will still contain music. That iPod can still be sold for what would be a profit for that thief.

19. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

ah see here is what you do with your iPod if you are getting mugged.

You have your headphones plugged in so you have that part sticking out of the iPod, if someone tries to mug you you slam that sticking out part right into the persons temple.

trust me the mugger will not be getting up for quite a while after that.

20. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

I think it is time to attach a mouse trap to the back of an iPod, that should stop some sticky hands. :D But then, how am I going to control it? :confused:

:):D

21. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

uh. ya ok

22. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

This thread has inspired me!

I was all set to plunk down $299 for an iPod Video, but then I read this and thought... humm... I have all the accessories I need. Time to go mugging. You guys / gals better watch out.

*que the dog with shifty eyes*

23. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

That's what these are for. Now if Beretta would only release them in "iPod white", Apple could sell them as accessories.

Attached Files:

24. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

watcher2001

As posted by someone else but agreed to by me.. A credit card can be cancelled therby rendering it useless. Also do you walk around with your credit cards out staring at them?

True, most criminals will not attempt to mug you unless they think it is worth their while.. I think the point here is that if you have an iPod out, in the open, staring at it with your full attention, then you are inviting someone to mug you.

25. BakedBeans thread starter macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

wow, lucky you told me.... in far to naive to know any different :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: