iPod music phone

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ANTMUZ, Aug 24, 2006.

1. ANTMUZ macrumors member

So with the decrease in sales of the iPod and the increase in sales of "music phones" (http://technology.guardian.co.uk/opinion/story/0,,1856486,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=20) it's looking likely that the iPod/iPhone is destined to appear.

I do wonder what pricing strategy Apple will use. Will they sell it as a standalone product allowing people to put in any sim card, thereby maximising their revenue. And charging us high prices!

Or will they team up with some network providers, who will then in return subsdise the iPhone, which will mean it'll be a lot cheaper for us! I'm sure they'd be able to shift quite a few million more globablly doing it this way.

In today's world it of combining everything in one it seems pretty obvious that is the way the iPod is going now.

I do hope networks will subsidise it. A top notch iPod for £100/$150 sounds ace! Maybe there'll be some kind of special feature within the iPhone as well that will only work with Macs - thus increase computer sales too.

What are your thoughts?

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Hopefully they won't do what other companies such as Motorola did, which is to release a phone with 'added iTunes capability'. Useless in terms of playing MP3s because it's so slow! Also has a limit of 100 songs.

If they release an iPhone it had better be an iPod FIRST, and THEN have phone capabilities...

3. NeoMac macrumors regular

NeoMac

I believe that Apple will have to work with the phone companies to make the ipod phone possible. Apple doesn't have the infrastructure in place to offer wireless phone service across the country. It would make sense that apple will make the phone and liscence it to the phone companies that would then sell the phone with the service. This would be much different than what happend with motorola. Thats my guess. And in order for it to be attractive to consumers it's price point would have to be around 2-3 hundred. Anymore than that wouldn't make sense. Thats my 2 cents.

4. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

I want the iPhone to be a phone first, and music player last. (thats what my iPod is for).

I'll be surprised if they make it a music player that can make ph calls.

I want a phone with organiser facilities, perhaps a mini OS X if you will.. with or without stylus/touch screen.. email capabilities....

OR, just a good quality phone.... :)

5. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

this is the complete opposite of what it should be. we all have iPods. what we don't have is an apple phone. if you're looking for something to use primarily for music playing, use your iPod. if you're looking for something to use primarily to make phone calls, then the iPhone would be for you. perhaps it could support a larger music library, but it will be most successful as a phone first and a music player second.

6. ipodcentral112 macrumors regular

IU

I disagree, if you want ipod first, then go out and by an ipod. THis would be more a phone than an ipod, but maybe it would somewhat resemble an ipod!?! The would be cooL!