Ipod/Music Question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by golferjh3, Sep 2, 2004.

1. golferjh3 macrumors newbie

I am concerned my iMac g4 may be destroyed by hurricane frances, and I am wondering if I should use CDs to back up my entire library of music purchased on itunes. What happens when you connect an ipod full of music to a new computer? I don't want to lose all my tunes!
    Thanks for your help!

2. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Technically, you CAN recover music off of an iPod back onto a computer, but this is a hack through 3rd party programs, which you can download for free. I would recommend backing everything up onto CD anyway.

Easiest way through iTunes-

In your preferences, set your burning preferences to 'Data CD'.

In your main library, select 'All' from the 'artists' list window and drag it into your playlists window. This creates a new playlist of everything you own. When you go to burn this playlist, it will fill one CD and automatically ask for another disk until you are done.

I Assume you are going to pack up your computer in its original box and wrap 40 or fifty pillows and trash bags around it with duct-tape, right? :D

3. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Alternately, you could remove all the audio from your iPod, set it up for use as a hard disk, and copy all your source audio files onto it through the finder as an external hard disk. This way you can head for the hills and come back and copy them back on. (Although you won't be able to listen to these files on the iPod).

4. golferjh3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

decksnap: Thanks for your help! I think i'll just load all my itunes on to CDs.