iPod Must Haves

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by niter, Feb 10, 2004.

1. niter macrumors 6502

Sep 9, 2003
    I have a new 15 GB iPod and I was wondering what are the must have accesories. I ordered an iSkin exo as I thought that above all, protection was important. Eventually, I would like to get an iTrip and the remote.

What I would like to do with my iPod is the basic use, plus use it in a car and use it hooked up to a stereo.

Considering what I would like to do with it, what is most suggested to get as I go along over the next few months or so?

Thanks ahead!
  2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
  3. russed macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2004
    London, England
    i have got the iskin and would say it is well worth having. the holder that comes with the larger hd ipod's is basically rubbish.
  4. JPGR_Fan macrumors regular

Apr 5, 2003
    St. Louis/Jupiter
    I use the following with my 30 GB:

1) Belkin Battery Pak, $59ÐThis for long road trips and other times to save iPod battery. I use rechargable AA and never worry about running out of juice.

2) Sony MDR EX71 inÐear buds. More comfortable and great sound. About $40.

3) Generic cassette adapter, $15. Hopefully you have a cassette slot in the car. This is so far fool proof, no FM noise or in and out.

4) Generic RCA to miniÐplug cord(s), $5. I have several and carry one around just in case someone wants to hear one of my 7700 tunes on their system!
  5. niter thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 9, 2003

Does any cassette adapter work? I have a cassette adapter in my car and part of the appeal of the iPod was that it would eliminate my desire for a CD player. I may actually have a sony cassette adaptor for my older sony cd player.

Also, what about a car charger instead of the battery pack? It would be nice if I could use my current one, but if not, is it worth it to buy one?
  6. JPGR_Fan macrumors regular

Apr 5, 2003
    St. Louis/Jupiter
    If your cassette adapter has a mini plug to go in the headphone output of your iPod, then you should be set. I am using one left over from some other product. It might be 15 years old.

I considered the car charger option, but decided the battery pack gave me more options. I do admit that the battery pack stays in the center console most of the time. I also remember that I got the battery pack during the height of the iPod battery scare, before the Apple Care option and the $99 battery replacement from Apple.
  7. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    I have a 1st gen 10 GB iPod ($500 back in the day!) and I rarely use it so the battery life is pretty good. But I bought the car charger anyhow... generally I can get 6-8 hours of it (depending on if I have the screen lit or not) but on my long night drives I like to leave the screen lit the whole time...
  8. shazammy macrumors member

Mar 22, 2004
    The must-have accessories for me have been an iSkin (exo 2 - I liked them so much that I bought 2 of them), the Griffin PowerPod (charges your iPod while in the car), and a stereo headphone to stereo RCA jacks cable. With that I can connect the iPod to my home stereo, where it sounds absolutely amazing. I plan on getting an iTalk and an iTrip, although I hear the FM band is way too crowded in LA for the iTrip to work properly, so I might pass on that. All in all, I have to say the BEST thing to get for the iPod is the iSkin, best purchase I ever made.

9. rdrr macrumors 6502a

Nov 20, 2003
    Couldn't agree more... :D

Knowing that I am a little rough on my electronic gadgets, I decided that the first thing I needed to buy was the iSkin. Not more than a day went by with my dressed up iPod, and I launch it out of my truck as I was departing from it. It actually bounced! :eek: I picked it up and wiped the sand and snow off of it and hit play... Best $$$ I ever spent.
  10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    Well, after using the Speck skins for a while, I have come to see a problem. There's no belt clip, they're too sticky and bulky to use in my pocket. So now I've been trying to find a case that is slim, has a belt clip (for lack of nearby pockets during the warmer months), and protects the screen and buttons/track wheel better (I've had it about 5 weeks now and the screen is pretty scratched up :(). Any suggestions?
  11. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    I got my 15GB ipod about a month ago to repalce a 20GB ipod I borke .... dont' drop your ipod .... and for my 20GB i had all the accesories but for my 15Gb I have a little bit less cash around so i invested in th essentials ....

iskin Exo2 as recommened, its a good case, only problem is that you have to use fingertip to put it on hold.

I used to have the Sony Ex71's and they worked pretty well, but for some reason my became unbalanced. I'm not sure how that happened perhaps I blew one of them but that doesn't seem right. well either way I splurged and purchased a pair of etymotics er-6's ... they were like $110 shipped and well worth my cost because the noise cancelling is much better than the song pair and the sound defintion is much higher. I'm kind of a casual headphone junkie so I appreciate the better ones but I would defiantley widen your view to a pair of good heapdhones that are comfy for ya ...
  12. niter thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 9, 2003
    I thought I reply here since it has been awhile since I started this thread. The first thing I purchased was the iSkin exo2. I LOVE it. I have been using my iPod in the gym and it has been a lifesaver. Now my buttons do not get pushed when in my pocket (I like to not have the lock on incase I want to advance the song). Also, last week, my iPod slipped from my hands when I was putting it back in the treadmill cupholder....it fell on the belt and was thrown off. Then stupid me, as I always do these type of things in pairs, I dropped it in the locker room. The iSkin is perfect and the iPod show no damage whatsoever.

Of course, I have added the handstrap now and I never carry it without it looped around my wrist.

I have also gotten the cheap version of the tape/radio converter and a $20 cigarette lighter converter. Now, I have good music in my car.
  13. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003

My favorite accessory is the dock. I don't know what I would do without them. I have one for my computer & one hooked up to my home stereo. Just slip it in and away you go.
  14. MatMistake macrumors member

Mar 21, 2004
    I don't get the whole case thing with ipods, I haven't seen a single one that I don't think was horribly ugly, plus I brought the ipod as its so small and light, I just see the case messing with that...
    it gets scratched, so what?
    but thats just me. I usually don't feel something belongs to me untill I have put a couple of dents in it...

headphones are a good buy. I'm actually fine with the apple ones, better quality than anything I've got with a cd/md player before, and damn comfortable. but some in-ear ones would be nice to block out sounds around you, and improve on the ipod's slightly weedy bass
    and on the subject of headphones, keep them in a seperate pocket. shotly after I got my ipod I managed to drop it. was perfetly fine, then I put it in my pocket with the headphones, next thing I know theres a nasty scratch across the screen. but I got rid of it with a bit of effort and some brasso :D
  15. thejazzman10 Guest

iskin exo 2 (www.iskin.com) they have it for iPod mini's too!!
  16. shazammy macrumors member

Mar 22, 2004
    Have you looked at the iSkins being made? Beautiful pieces of silicone, and they protect the screen and the whole iPod. I don't know about you, but I didn't plan on spending $500 on this thing only to let it get scratched up and ugly. the iSkins are around 30 bucks, and they work like a dream. I even want to get one of the Inferno ones now because they look so cool.

Now if someone would just design a case for all the accessories I would be happy! That little clear plastic iZip case thing sucks.

17. Apmonia macrumors regular

Jul 29, 2003
    I owned the iSkin eXo and I only used it once. I couldn't stand the bulky feel of it and the silicone was way too sticky. Radtech makes a great skin for the iPod, it fits snuggly over the iPod itself and it doesn't look bad. The only downside to it is the lack of a belt clip, but, what can one do. It also covers the touch wheel and controls, making them a little less touchy. www.radtech.us if anyone is interested. I also have the sleeve for my iBook as well and it is just as wonderful.
  18. kylos macrumors 6502a

Nov 8, 2002
    Use the little black canvas bag with drawstring that came with your ipod for your earbuds.

On FM transmitters, they're handy if you can't get a cassette adaptor working, but you have to position them right. I have an iTrip (3 of 4 vehicles I drive in with regularity have nonfunctioning or non-existent cassette players) and it works quite well if you take a bit of time to set it up. You can broadcast on any frequency unlike other FM transmitters, though that can take a bit of time to figure out how to work. Often the itrip will be almost crystal clear and at other times frustratingly static-y. For the most part, reception is good. If the sound comes through warbled, you'll need to fine tune the volume on both the ipod and stereo. I use the itrip in my room also; I haven't used the earbuds in a while.

When you get an FM transmitter, you'll want a car charger as well, since the transmitters suck battery power.

As far as transmitters and chargers, you can get all in one units for easier use. These also provide volume independent line out capabilities since they plug into the dock connector, so you won't have to mess with the volume on the ipod. However, as far as I know, the iTrip is the only one that allows you to select any FM frequency. I also like the way it looks with the ipod sittin' on top.

I also bought a stereo minijack to rca converter. This allows you to hook up to your tv or sound system. Other audio adapters are available as well. I suggest picking up a few different components. They're cheap and really expand the functionality of an ipod.
  19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    I take my iPod back and forth to work everyday and also have a PDA. I bought a Pyrim (www.pyrim.com) case and it is awesome. The iPod section is a perfect fit. I had to shave a bit of foam off to fit my Sony Clie perfectly. Room for other stuff as well. Take a look.

Attached Files:

20. Nicky G macrumors 6502a

Nicky G

Mar 24, 2002
    Baltimore & NYC
    SiK imp

My SiK imp rocks da house -- best car adapter/line out available IMO. Full review on my blog (URL below).