iPod Nano 1st Gen vs nano 2nd Gen ??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pechar, Jan 18, 2007.

1. pechar macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I searched the forums but didn't find the exact info I'm looking for.
    I am planning of getting an iPod nano but would like to know the differences between the first and second generations (ie the shiny 1st gen or the aluminum 2nd gen). The only negative aspects of the 1st compared to 2nd I know are:

-screen is not so bright
    -is susceptible to scratches

Other than that I don't know any other differences :confused: and if there aren't any major I would go for the 1G 2GB version since the price is more inviting.

Is the sound quality better/worse (even if I use better phones than the supplied ones)? Is the firmware buggy?? Can I update it?? What are extra functions that the 1G doesn't have?? Battery life??
    Any suggestions ?? Obviously if you could list any diffs. please do so

Thanks
    Luke

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The first generation was rated to fourteen hours of battery life for playing songs. The second generation nano is rated to twenty four hours. That's probably the biggest difference for me. Otherwise, I actually prefer the feel of the older one, even if it does seem slightly bulkier. I don't like the new one's harder edges.

3. pechar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply any other suggestions? Sound quality and so on?
    Any good online places I could get the 1st gen for a reasonable price I live in Malta (EUROPE).

4. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I felt the same about the new one actually, until I actually held one in my hand... and then ended up walking out with one - something that didn't happen with the first gen!

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I dunno. I find running with it a bit less comfortable. I hold it in my hand and the edges can get a bit sharp. The older nano never felt like that. Of course, I am a pansy-boy and my mummy still tucks me in at night, so maybe I should toughen up...