Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swamesp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
Somewhere on Earth
Hello Everybody,

I want to buy a ipod NANO that will be mainly used in my car FM transmitter and sometimes to watch videos and photos...

I'm not sure whether to buy a 4th or 5th Gen Nano(16GB) from Refurbished center in Apple store. Any help on this is highly appreciated.

If choosing 4th what all do I miss and are there any real advantages with the 5th Gen?

speedyraf

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2007
iPod Nano - 4th or 5th Gen (Refurb)

It appears we're thinking similarly. At this point, some of the new functions (FM radio, built-in microphone and larger screen) attract my attention, as does the video camera. Buying an external microphone for the 4th gen would erase a part of the price difference between the two generations. It's something that would come in handy at times for me. From what other people have noted on the forum, it sounds like the larger screen does make a difference. In another area, I'm hoping Apple will upgrade the Notes feature to allow one to enlarge its font (using the settings menu) and increase the maximum file size from its present 4k. That's a very useful item on my current iPod nano.

imtb

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2010
i would suggest the 5 generation ipod nano.
the diffrences between the two are the 5th generation has a bigger screen, fm tuner, mic, speaker which is louder than the ipod touch but not as full a sound, movies look great on it (same with pictures) and of course the camera
i have an ipod nano 5g and i love it
**just because the ipod nano 5g has a camera do not think it will replace your old camera. this camera quality is not what it was made out to be, be it is good for the size

swamesp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
Somewhere on Earth
Thanks for the reply guys,

I don't think I would use the video camera, may be FM tuner and the bigger screen could make me buy the 5th gen...

How useful is the mic and speaker?

imtb

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2010
the mic is good for voice recordings, it is a very good feature to have
and the speaker can get pretty loud which is nice (not much bass though)
hope this helps

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
Thanks mate,

I've finalized to buy 16GB Nano...!!!!!
Not sure if I should go for refurbished or the new. Any experiences on it?

I bought an 8GB yesterday in blue. Then, looking at the price difference (cost per GB), just ordered a 16GB in red from the Apple store. Haven't opened the 8GB yet but looks like my partner will end up with it.

If I were you I would just go new unless your getting a really good price on the refurbished one.

bagelche

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Western Mass.
When available, I would always opt for the refurb. You save money, the warranties are identical, and the refurbs have been looked over in a way that a random one off the line may not have been.

The only "negative" is that they ship in more generic packaging. Is that worth the difference in money? For me, certainly not.

swamesp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
Somewhere on Earth
Kristine,

You bought both, 5th Gen and New or Refurb??????

When I posted the above question, your post was different....
Fine, I'll have an watchful eye over the refurb store for 16GB 5th Gen....

Is any new changes expected to nano in the Jan media event?

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
ahaha I know that it is totally irrelevant to the OP, but I just got a
gold shuffle. As a runner I needed a smallie. =) If I was getting a ipod for
your needs, I would for sure get a 5th gen. Refurb is fine too. My wife wants the new ones with the FM built in because our gym has the tv's on radio
stations. =)
index.php

Only got this little baby for 50 bucks! =) Had the 3rd gen shuffle but it really
sucked for running and working out. After a good 5k of running the sweat
would get into the control box for volume and stuff and the volume and
tracks would go haywire. So I sold it on ebay and then found this Avon
gold model shuffle from the previous gen. With the controls on it. It's
shipped, and I can't wait. =)

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
The 16GB is the better deal of the fifth generation iPod nano, $30 more for 8GB more memory is worth it.

swamesp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
Somewhere on Earth
Thanks everybody for the valuable replies....
I shall order the 16GB, 5th Gen, Refurb when it is available....!!!! Hope it appears soon...

@JasonBeck...

index.php

Only got this little baby for 50 bucks! =) Had the 3rd gen shuffle but it really
sucked for running and working out.
No image is displayed in your reply. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.