iPod Nano 8GB vs. iPod Video 30GB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sstern1, Dec 10, 2006.

1. sstern1 macrumors member

OK,

So my parents want to buy me an iPod for Christmas. I've never had more than a Shuffle but I've outgrown it so I've reluctantly agreed. I had my heart set on the black nano but my mom wants to buy the 30GB (it's a better deal).

What are the pros/cons that I might not be seeing here? What I'm using this for is to/from work and in the car. The only thing I really aren't sure that I'd like about the 30GB is its size and ability to fit in my pocket so I can walk around the city with it like I do my shuffle.

Any takers?

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

video ipod has larger capacity, can play video, thats it.
    video ipod is harddrive based, and nano is flash drive based.
    its you, not your parents gonna use it, so its your choice.

3. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

I'd say go with the Video since you already have a Shuffle that you can use when you just want to keep it in your pocket, etc.

4. T-Stex macrumors 6502

Well, how big is your music collection? If it would easily fit onto an 8GB Nano, then I'd definitely go that route. If it's bigger, then ask yourself if you would mind having to consistantly transfer music back and forth from a Nano. I love my 80GB iPod, but I do miss the size and flash memory of the Nano.

5. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

6. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I have a 30Gb Video and a 2Gb nano, I don't have much music and I often sense myself using the nano more than the video due to it's size. The shuffle does noit do it for me.

Also look at battery life, the nano's 24hrs of music is good for long trips. I prefer to use my video with external batteries to watch content on long car trips.

So if you want portability, battery life and compact-ness get the nano

If you want video, games and a sexy big(ger) screen get the video.

Oh and for jopgging th enano wont skip or have any moving parts to be destroyed and nike-iPod kit

7. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

8. sstern1 thread starter macrumors member

See that's the thing, I have about 10GB of music, and I could forsee myself using this as a jogging iPod one day (my shuffle is fading fast, I fear). They gave me the choice, it's just a tough one, you know?

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, buy a video 30G, plus a new generation shuffle or 2 G nano

10. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

8GB Nana...without a doubt...

Unless you anticipate downloading video content or creating video content for the 30GB then why would you want it. I bought the 8GB and my 30GB (not a video one albeit) sits on the shelf a lot. The Nano is super portable, holds plenty of music, addresses, and photos. About the only thing it is missing is the ability to display photos on a larger TV screen with video out cables. I didn't foresee getting into video content so the Nano was a no brainer. Plus, you should run with the hard drive based players. People do, but Apple will never support this.

11. sstern1 thread starter macrumors member

The video has moving parts, correct? which means that I might have trouble running with it?

12. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i have a video and 2 gb nano... i too find myself using the nano a lot mroe because of its smaller size... I guess it comes down to where your gonna use it

13. GreeneGirl7 macrumors regular

GreeneGirl7

The video has a hard drive, which spins, while the nano is flash-based and doesn't move. If you're running with it, a nano is definitely better, especially over time.

I think you'd be happier with the nano, especially if the video option doesn't appeal to you. I have a 80GB video, and I'm really happy with it - but I have a very large music collection and love the video option, and I don't exercise with it, besides walking. If I had a small music collection and wanted a iPod to exericse with, I would have gone with the nano. You can explain that the nano isn't a worse deal for what you'd use it for - the flash based drive is more expensive to make and more durable. :) Oh, and also if I had wanted something other than white, I would probably gone with a nano.

14. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Don't run with a hard-drive based iPod.

I ran ONCE with my 30gig Photo (4gen) and it broke later that day. Hard drive failure. I was luckily under Apple Care, but I'd be iPod-less if I wasn't.

The only "pros" you're getting with the video is the ability to play video and a bigger screen. If you plan on using your iPod for jogging and driving, I doubt video and a bigger screen would be that important. Unless you like car accidents and broken iPods.

15. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Correct - if you plan on running, get the nano, no question. I have the 30G, but I use it for video, photos etc and don't use it for exercise (except cycling the odd time). Unless you plan on using it for video, you don't need a 30G.

Use playlists to filter out the portions of your music you don't listen to. Everyone has some music there they don't listen to , and rerip any audiobooks, podcasts etc to a smaller size.

16. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

I ran a lot with my 3G iPod (hard drive) and it did fine, although there were a few times in my 2 years of owning it that it reset itself while I was running. I personally love my 5G iPod and use it as my main player (car, travel, etc...) but I love my nano for working out. If ALL you want to do is listen to music, get the nano. If you want to get into video, games, and have all your music with you, get the 30GB.

17. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Well if you already have a nano you can use that for running, unless you run for 10 hours at a time and need more music so the video would be better as an alternative to another flash-based 'pod

18. sstern1 thread starter macrumors member

Interesting thoughts all. I'm leaning toward the nano because it seems like its more durable. I'm also pretty rough on my electronics. I've dropped my shuffle about 200 times.

19. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

It's really your choice. I like how the new Nano's are scratch-resistent. I barely use mine but my parents got it for me with a laser engraving. Now I can't sell it. :-\

20. gallagb macrumors 6502

gallagb

it's philosophical...

so in the past i've had large ipods and small ipods
    mini's, nano's, full sized...etc
    from 2GB nano to a 30GB ipod

my music library has grown over years from 200mb to the current 117.04 GB

what it boils down to-

DO you NEED to have access to your entire music libaray at every waking moment of your life?

if not- then get a smaller ipod
    the tiny ones are really small
    and kinda fun like that

the larger ones are still small- but... bigger-

the debate- is if you need the whole library all the time- as i said

it is entirely possible to make the appropriate playlists and keep the stuff you want at hand all the time-

currently i've got a 2GB nano
    and i love it

21. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

The 30GB videos are really small, I have one myself and I love it. I have about 27 gigs of music so it fits perfectly onto it, I would never switch to a shuffle because I like to have the ability to go to whatever I want to listen to when I want to. Plus the large screen displays my album art great and I can watch some music videos and stuff on it which is a huge plus. You said your library is already 10GB so if i were you I'd go with the 30 to at least be semi-future-proof for a while. I know my music library has certainly expanded over the years :).

22. sstern1 thread starter macrumors member

Can't you use the 30GB as a backup drive too? I'm a pretty big guy, so I'm thinking the 30GB might be better for my hands. I think I'll go to the apple store today and play with them just to see.

23. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Well you can technically but 30Gb is a bit small.

24. cecildk9999 macrumors regular

cecildk9999

I miss the bigger screen of the traditional iPod now that I have a new 4GB nano, but for sleekness and durability, the new one wins hands down. I like being able to slip it into the small pocket on my jeans (where Steve pulled the original one out for the keynote). I'd actually recommend the 30GB, though, since you can use it for backup too; if you were waffling between a 4GB and a 30GB, then I might steer you toward the nano, but for the price points, you're gonna get a better bang for your (well, parents) buck with the bigger model. And I dropped both of my HD based iPods several times while running, and they still work fine, so they can be fine for running with (in theory).

25. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The only reasons to get a full sized iPod is because you need the capacity, or you want to watch video on a tiny screen.

I don't care much about either. I don't care about video, and I don't care if I have all my music with me because I don't listen to 99% of it when I had my 4G 20GB iPod.

I have a Nano, and I'd never go back to a regular iPod.

Oh, and I wouldn't recommend running with a regular iPod. Yes, you can do it, but the HD gets a little screwy after awhile.