iPod Nano (Aluminium) Cases

Discussion in 'iPod' started by sid872, Sep 17, 2006.

1. sid872 macrumors member

I've just bought a new iPod Nano (blue) and it will be getting delievered on Tuesday but the only case they sell in the Apple store is the iPod sock. I've heard the sock isn't very protective though so was wondering if anyone knew of any other cases that will work with the new iPod.

Thanks

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

There's only one I know of and it's one of those massive leather things.

The new nano really shouldn't need a case - maybe you could get an adhesive plastic screen protector but the nano should be very durable now that they've gone back to the aluminium casing.

3. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

How different are the dimensions? For some reason I thought they were very similar and that most cases would therefore work. The new one isn't *bigger* is it? That would be a problem, but a little smaller should be fine for most cases, right?

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Same height and width, a tiny bit thinner (0.4mm thinner). Problem is they moved the dock connector and the headphone port further apart so cases with specially cut openings for the 1G nano won't work with the 2G nano.

5. sid872 thread starter macrumors member

So, the screen isn't as scratchable either now?

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Um, does that answer your question?

7. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

As I always say for every iPod...go with the Invisible Shield from shieldzone.com

They already have it out for the new nano!

8. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I haven't ordered an invisibleshield for the new Nano yet but I can't help feeling that the film will make the Nano look like a glossy plastic toy. The old Nano was glossy plastic / metal from the outset so the film would not have been a visual detraction but the new anodised finish wouldn't 'go' well with the IS surely?

9. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

I don't want to shell out for full body armor. Anondized aluminum is pretty hard to scratch and I don't care too much if it does get scratched. I do, however, want to protect the screen. Is there a simple screen protector out there that doesn't leave a film behind and isn't a full body wrap? Hopefully something that is no bigger than the screen so as not to screw up the aesthetic.

Also, anyone know of a nearly identical leather case as the Apple one. I like the very simple and clean design, but $99!!!! Come on. That's just STUPID.

10. SAdProZ macrumors 6502

SAdProZ

links

i started a similar thread and posted some links. :cool:

I think it makes perfect sense to get a case. For one, once the real video ipods come out im probably gonna sell my 2nd gen nano. Ill get more money if its like new, hence the protective case. plus i like to have a clip so i can secure it to my pocket while i bike.

11. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

The iPod socks actually protect quite well. A friend gave me one when I bought my 5G iPod earlier this year and it's all I've used. The ipod is still in great shape. The only problems with the sock are that you have to slide the iPod part-way out to view the screen, and the iPod might accidentally slide out of the sock if you want to just throw it into a backpack. I generally keep my iPod in my pocket and haven't had any problems.

On a side note, I like to keep a little stack of index cards on me for quick notes when I'm out and I've devised a little system for keeping the cards, a pen, and my iPod all together and handy... The iPod sock is an essential part of the design.

12. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

The incase neoprene sleeves for the 1G nano fit the new nano fine.

They're also $10 off at target right now (all 1G nano cases are!)

13. dansgil macrumors regular

dansgil

If you don't want an InvisibleShield type protector that cover the whole body, Best Skins Ever has one that only covers the screen and click wheel for $4.99 plus shipping. The material is the exactly same as an InvisibleShield, the only difference is you don't get the lifetime warranty.

I have used Best Skins Ever products on my other iPods and they're amazing.

14. aristobrat macrumors G4

From the testing arstechnica did, the new screen looks a lot less scratchable as the old nano.

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/ipod-2g.ars

[​IMG]