iPod nano at CompUSA

Discussion in 'iPod' started by mduser63, Sep 10, 2005.

1. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I went to CompUSA today to pick up a wireless card for my PC. While there, I noticed that they had the nano in stock. I can't believe how small it is! They were already sold out of the 4 GB model in both colors, and the 2 GB model in black.

I was with my cousin, and the salesman started talking to us about the nano, saying how much he liked it and stuff. Then he told me that iPods only come with 90 days within which you get 1 support phone call, and no warranty against defects. When I told him that the warranty was one year, he said, "That sounds kind of weird, I talked to the Apple rep yesterday and he said there's no warranty on iPods, or Macs, only 90 days with one phone call unless you buy AppleCare." I really wish CompUSA would hire smarter people. Also, the Apple reps that go around to the CompUSA's might be a little more careful in making sure that the CompUSA employees know at least a little about what they're selling. Telling people that products don't include a warranty is a sure way to discourage people from buying them.

2. SychoBC macrumors member

As far as I can tell from the numbers is that no CompUSA's have received the 4 GB Black or White yet. I beleive only White 2 Gigs so far. The number may not be up to date in the system yet though. I'm waiting on a 4 gig black myself.

And referring to a large company in a harsh generalization is uncalled for. Most of the people in my store know enough, or more than enough to help a customer.

Give him credit he did get the one phone call part right.

3. tubedogg macrumors regular

The intention is that it's a sure way to sell you an (overpriced) extended warranty that (guess who) CompUSA and CompUSA alone profits from, not to discourage you from buying the product at all.

4. Prelude2Tragedy macrumors regular

Im not sure how is it actually is at most compusa's, but the store i rep at isnt allowed to offer TAP since Apple offers applecare. One thing they may offer in addition to applecare is service on the screen.

And ComUSA extended warranties are very sweet for the price. I get one on everything i buy and break it before service is over. I have a 325 dollar gift card for a sweet new nano or 60 gig ipod because my other mp3 finally crapped out on me. Cost of ownership for 2 years ended up being 30 bucks and now i get the money to replace it with an awesome new product. It's almost retarded not to buy service. Again i dont work for compusa i just rep there for canon.

5. mduser63 thread starter macrumors 68040

mduser63

I agree that CompUSA's TAP plan is often a good deal, and I have it on both my digital camera and my scanner. However, this guy wasn't selling TAP, he was pushing AppleCare. I don't mind them pushing AppleCare or TAP, but lying (intentionally or otherwise) isn't a good sales tactic, at least not when dealing with me. I don't have anything against CompUSA, I go there a lot and buy most of my computer stuff from them because they have a good selection and are close to my house. The salesperson I'm talking about is not the first CompUSA employee whom I've run into that annoyed me. However, I bought a scanner the other week from the very same store, and found the salesperson who helped me very helpful and knowledgeable, and I'm very happy with the scanner he recommended that I get.