iPOD nano compatible with video?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by gAfaS, Nov 14, 2005.

1. gAfaS macrumors newbie

Hello,

I ve been trying to find something about it for the last 2 hours! I ve heard that ipod nano is able to play video formats. And hows that? I was told from DIXONS that there is some kind of software in HMV that enables this service to the nano ipod? Is it true? Is there anything else that can free my hands? Can I finally play video files on an iPOD nano ?

Thank you very much in advance!

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Not true. The nano cannot play video.

3. gAfaS thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you:)

But I am such a stuborn(not sure about the spelling, I m not English) that I will find something and the second to do is to inform our forums!

4. Konradx macrumors 6502

Konradx

i wouldnt be suprised if the next nano did play videos though..though would you really want to watch a movie on something that small? it hurts my neck watching it on my 5G

5. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

iPod linux allows you to watch video on a Nano, apart from that there is no possible way,

Shadow

6. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

iPod linux...heard oof that but what format does it have to be?i mean the movie files

7. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

I've been experrimenting with ipod video. Because it's unsupported officially, it's hard to get info. Here's the best I could find.

http://ipodlinux.org/Video_Player#Nano

Once you compile (or install) the binary components, just enter the following into the terminal:

mencoder -ovc raw -ofps 15 -oac pcm -vf scale=220:-2,expand=220:176,format=bgr16 moviefile.avi -o nameofoutput.avi

where moviefile is the name of the file and the directory paths, and nameofoutput is the desired name to be given to the encoded file.

I think I compile wrong cause my first test video came out with messed up colours. Like you would see on infrared.

Update: the linux kernel now supports audio channels with the video, the video plays at 15fps.