Ipod Nano.. does it have USB 1.1 compatibility?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Archmagination, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Archmagination macrumors regular

I am seriously considering an ipod nano(black), but I only have a USB 1.1 and Firewire connections on my computer. I was wondering if the Nano is only USB 2.0 compatible or if it is compatible with 1.1 too.

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

USB 2 is backwards compatible with USB 1.1, you just lose the speed. Should work fine, albeit slowly.

3. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Yep it will still work. Its not incredebly slow i used it for my first mini.

PS: I just got a black 2gb nano. It rocks :D

4. giveup macrumors member

giveup

dont do it, it is not worth buying, i give it my finger when i check out it does only has usb connectivity.

5. PaZuZuPrime macrumors newbie

Huh?

What did you just try and say?

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I think he's saying that he refuses to buy it if it doesn't support Firewire...his loss.

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

If it has the same dock connector, wouldn't it support FireWire when using the correct cable?

8. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

It doesn't support firewire because building in FW data transfer would cost extra, and most iPod buyers never use FW so it's not worth it. Hard to argue with that, since USB 1.1 is there in a pinch anyway.

No boycott is going to change the above business realities. And I too have transferred large amounts of data over 1.1 and found it tolerable. So small amounts of data (a song here and there) should be fine until you get a newer Mac someday.

9. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

Just a bit of info, using USB 1.1 wont power the ipod while its transfering. So just make sure you dont run out of battery power when you're transfering your music or something crazy might happen... like something real crazy

10. zflauaus macrumors 65816

I'm sorry, but I beg to differ. My sister's PC, yes it's a Dell, charges her Mini while syncing, and she has 1.1. Sorry if I sound rude, but I would just want to point out something.

11. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I wish the iPod nano had FireWire. I'm curious to know what most Mac users use to sync their iPods. I've never even taken the USB cable out of the box for my iPod. I always use the FireWire cable. It seems like most Mac users use FireWire, while most Windows users use USB. Do you think that's true? Not all Macs (or PCs for that matter) had USB 2 until somewhat recently, whereas FireWire has been standard on Macs for quite a while now, and a lot of PCs have it too I think, because digital camcorders use it. I know that all three of the PCs we have in our house have FireWire, although admittedly one has it through a PCI card, though that card did come with the computer when we bought it.

EDIT: Fixed a typo that made it so the first part of my post made no sense.

12. mkubal macrumors 6502a

Indeed, USB 1.1 compatible. I know because I'm doing the initial transfer on my Nano right now with USB 1.1 ( a.k.a. USB Hillbilly). Kinda slow, like watching grass grow, but I don't care this thing is ***** amazing. And yes, it charges with USB 1.1

13. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

It does have USB 2.

I bought one (white, 4gb nano) , and i have a 1GHz TiBook (usb 1.1) Other than the initial load of music, i don't see this being too annoying. The device is meant to be used for listening to music, not testing how fast or slow your music gets transferred to it.

14. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

It should work fine with USB 1.1; I have an iPod Mini and a Shuffle that I use with my Cube, and they both charge and sync fine (my Firewire ports don't work anymore, so I have to use USB for the Mini :( )

15. giveup macrumors member

giveup

can't you guys just think Apple is dropping firewire at iPod. One day, Steve announce new ipod orig, it does only support usb 2.0. then, we all fu*ked.

16. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Using USB 1.1 will be fine for the Nano as it has a small capacity, it would take about 40 mins to fill up the 4gigs via USB 1.1, USB only for the standard iPods though would be unacceptable as there is too much to transfer if you have USB 1.1 only....In my Opinion firewire is still far superior to USB2 and i think its a real shame that the Nano has no support for it......

Can anyone confirm that USB 1.1 charges the nano? Also does the Nano come with a dock in the box?

ShadoW

17. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Yes I agree with that, however when iPods (1G) came out one of their advantage was quick file transfer (firewire) compared to other MP3-players that had only USB 1.1 by that time.

18. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

They already dont supply firewire cables with ALL iPods, however they still have it as an optional for 19$ (?)

Why the hell do they getting rid of this superior technology, which is faster than USB 2?

19. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Purely because they want to win over the Windows market who are not used to firewire as firewire doesnt come with many PC's these days....

I love Firewire its the greatest way of data transfer i use it all the time to transfer data beetween macs....It's great, i hope macs in future will keep the firewire ports,

ShadOW

20. mkubal macrumors 6502a

Yeah it charges it. Not sure if it's as effective at charging as USB 2.0, but I'm assuming it is. It doesn't include a dock, but what is apparently a dock adapter so the thing sits correctly. I really wouldn't know what it's for though because I don't have a dock.

21. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Oops, I meant to say that I wish it had FireWire. Fixed now. With a device as small as the iPod nano, USB 1.1 isn't too bad. Trying to load my 40 GB iPod with the 33 GB of music that's in my library wouldn't be too fun though.