Ipod Nano for your car?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by The Mizz, Oct 1, 2005.

1. The Mizz macrumors newbie

Oct 1, 2005
    Hey guys,
    Iam thinking about buying a Nano only if it has some gear for me to hook it up to my car through a cig. liter outlet and let the music play out of my system. Does anyone know if this is possible? Ive asked the local Circuit City guys but their worthless druggie kids who don't know anything.
  2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    A bit too soon for nano specific accessories. Griffin Technology has a cig lighter charger that will work.
  3. The Mizz thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 1, 2005
    Has anyone been able to get a nano to go through an aftermarket head-unit such as Clarion, Alpine, JL Audio,.....?
  4. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

May 30, 2005
    What I did with my mini will work with your nano.. make a home-made dock. The back of your head unit should have 2 female RCA plugs (red and white.) Go to RadioShak and buy a $5 cable that is 1/8" to RCA. Plug the male RCA into the female RCA and then run that to wherever you want to dock it. I used a cheap cell-phone holder thing that I put on the dash. Now, when you get in the car, put your nano in the holder and plug the 1/8" end of the cable into the headphone out and go to AUX mode on your CD Player... and there you have it.

You could also attach a cigarette charger to your "rig."

Hope that helps..
  5. benwa02 macrumors 6502

Dec 6, 2004
    I picked up the Pocketdock lineout/firewire to do this and I am just waiting on an adapter from ebay to make the plug on the back of my pioneer stereo for a disc-changer to RCA so I can plug the ipod into my stereo. That way I will get perfect quality instead of dealing with the hassle and poorer quality of FM transmitters. I will let you know how this works out in probably a week and a half. It will work you just need to put your stereo on AUX.

I actually had my nano plugged into my amp for my subwoofer and it worked. I could control my nano and hear the music through just my subwoofer since my speakers arent connected to the amp.