Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theapplefreak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
Hi guys,

So my friend gave me his ipod nano 4th generation cause he hacked it and turned it into a freakn flash drive. I know I think thats a stupid idea too. But now, when I plug it into the computer, it appears as a flash drive thing. Does anyone know how to restore this whole thing without using itunes or just plainly turning the whole software back normal?

Thanks

Please help me if you can. Just try telling me anything I can do to restore this device.

*Note* it doesn't appear on iTunes. :/

GoldGlover39

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2008
New York
see if you can format it right click the device in the computer folder and see if there is a option "format disk" or something like that, :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::;);)apple:

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
Why lie for something that is probably easily fixed?:confused:

But you've not offered a fix?

OP, my best guess is to open Disk Utility, select the nano and completely erase it. Hopefully then it'll show up in iTunes (as an iPod that needs to be restored)

And maybe tell your friend you can get flash drives for £10?

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Plus the iPod nano can be used as a flash drive natively, merely by enabling disk use in iTunes. No hacking needed...

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
Don't take it into Apple and lie.

Apple sold the iPod on the basis it would be used for media.

It is not supposed to be hacked to perform as something other than what intended.

You broke/your friend broke it - not Apple.

They shouldn't cover your mistakes. Its the people who encourage the OP to do such stupid things who are the people responsible for high prices.

Companies have to make their money back somewhere with all these false exchanges and refunds.

theapplefreak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
Don't take it into Apple and lie.

Apple sold the iPod on the basis it would be used for media.

It is not supposed to be hacked to perform as something other than what intended.

You broke/your friend broke it - not Apple.

They shouldn't cover your mistakes. Its the people who encourage the OP to do such stupid things who are the people responsible for high prices.

Companies have to make their money back somewhere with all these false exchanges and refunds.

Don't worry guys. Everything is done. It was a counterfeit iPod. x( So yeah. Well thanks for the suggestions guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.